Director, Channel Sales (1-Step Distribution)
- Job Title
- Director, Channel Sales (1-Step Distribution)
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Director, Channel Sales (1-Step)
Department: Channel Sales
Manager: VP, Channel Sales
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
Are you a leader who can develop a high-performing sales organization? Are you driven to achieve high levels of sales growth? Do you have experience implementing effective and repeatable sales processes, coaching employees on winning sales methodologies, and executing strategies that increase loyalty with key customers? Do you want to be a part of a fast-growing company that’s committed to leading global change in the way people build and live?
Fortress Building Products is looking for an experienced Channel Sales Director to contribute to our company’s sales objectives.
The Director, Channel Sales (1-Step) will play a critical role in leading our 1-step sales organization to a new level of success. In this role, you will work closely with the VP, Channel Sales and Director, Sales Enablement/Operations to design and deploy new strategies while collaborating with various departments to ensure sales processes and programs are successful. As the Director, Channel Sales (1-Step), you will lead a 15-20 person sales team consisting of Regional Sales Managers, Territory Managers, Independent Sales Representatives, and Inside Sales team members across North America.
Please note: Current Dallas area residency is required for consideration for this position.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement - We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensure effective hiring, orientation, training, development, and retention of sales staff.
- Provide leadership through effective communication of vision and active coaching.
- Take appropriate action to correct performance and personnel issues when necessary.
- Develop sales targets and goals for the sales team and hold them accountable to ensure that they are achieved.
- Work with key customers and national accounts.
- Maintain competitive knowledge to create and adjust sales strategies.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual sales forecasts.
- Perform research and identify new potential customers and new market opportunities.
- Collect and report on product, market, and customer opportunities to VP, Channel Sales.
- Ensure that sales expenses are within budget and utilized in the most impactful way for the business.
- Establish effective relationships and collaborate with other departments and businesses to address key issues and opportunities.
- Manage and attend trade shows, meetings, seminars, and conferences as appropriate.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Direct responsibility to lead, manage, and hold accountable the following positions and indirect responsibility for all employees that report into these positions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and developing direct reports; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- 1-Step Regional Sales Manager – East
- 1-Step Regional Sales Manager – Central
- 1-Step Regional Sales Manager – West
- Regional Sales Manager – Canada *shared direct report with Director, Channel Sales (2-Step)
- Inside Sales Coordinator
- Inside Sales Associate
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Managing Customer Focus – Promotes customer focus; ensures that organizational resources and support are focused on meeting customer needs; holds others accountable for meeting customer needs; establishes relationships with key customers; monitors customer satisfaction; develops new approaches to meeting customer needs.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes oneself available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Performance Coaching – Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delay, or unexpected events.
Cooperation – Establishes and maintains effective relationships; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
Consultative Selling – Qualifies potential customers; builds rapport and establishes trust; asks questions to discover client business needs; applies product and market knowledge effectively; presents solutions that meets customer objectives; manages and documents sales process.
Technical Expertise – Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems; develops solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches; is sought out to provide advice or solutions in the area of expertise; keeps informed about current developments in the area of expertise.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- 10+ years of 1-step distribution experience required, preferably in the Fence industry
- 2+ years of applied professional experience leading managers
- One, three, five, and ten-year strategy development experience
- Experience with products manufactured overseas preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and customer interfacing abilities
- Solid customer service attitude with excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent team management skills
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Analytical skills with a problem-solving attitude
- An ability to create, understand, and analyze sales performance metrics
- Willingness to travel more than 50% of the time
- Dallas area residency required
- Bilingual a plus
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional/home office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required. Ability to uphold the stress of traveling.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.