Mechanical Systems Design Engineer
- Job Title
- Mechanical Systems Design Engineer
- Portland, OR
- Other Location
Hyperspring, LLC. is currently accepting candidates for a Mechanical Systems Design Engineer in Portland, Oregon.
POSITION SUMMARY: The mechanical systems design engineering organization generates technical requirements and advances the design of the fluid systems within the Power Plant. Utilizing proven state-of-the-art methodologies, the nuclear steam supply system (NSSS) and balance of plant (BOP) systems are engineered to nuclear industry standards. The person in this position supports the advancement of NSSS and BOP design by utilizing fluid system design methodologies and intuition to perform engineering calculations, engineering reports, and generate engineering drawings in accordance with procedures and applicable Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Generate technical requirements for NSSS and BOP systems and components.
- Perform engineering evaluations by applying sound engineering thermal hydraulics and structural mechanics fundamentals, including familiarity with standard system design software (e.g. AFT Fathom).
- Prepare and review engineering specifications, drawings, and other documentation that communicate the design and technical aspects of components, systems, and structures associated NSSS or BOP systems. Works on complex tasks in multiple and diverse areas and proposes innovative design solutions.
- Interprets scope and project requirements to develop design alternatives when required.
- Plans, organizes, and performs complex assignments in a team environment.
- Engage with NRC staff and licensing staff to support the review of thePower Design Certification Application and other licensing efforts as needed.
- Act as technical lead for vendor design and procurement contracts. Additionally, support customer technical requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently. Seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity. Able to create, read and interpret complex written information. Able to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and security: Observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrates understanding and implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and ASME NQA-1.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
- Education: A minimum of a B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from a four year accredited college or university.
- Licensure: An active PE license in Mechanical Engineering is desired.
- Experience: Minimum eight years of relevant professional experience is required with demonstrated knowledge in:
- Fluid system design, preferably in the nuclear industry.
- Operation of fluid systems in a nuclear power plant
- Applying NRC regulatory requirements to the design of nuclear power plant systems.
- Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy 10 CFR Part 810.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and stand, walk, bend, use hands to operate office equipment, and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally using common forms of transportation.
Disclaimer: Employee(s) must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employee(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees in this classification.
Hyperspring is a nationwide provider of multi-disciplined engineering, training, project management, procurement, and project controls personnel serving the commercial nuclear, government, and other energy industry sectors. The company was formed as a veteran-owned business in 2004, offering comprehensive technical training and professional solutions provided by the most qualified personnel in the market. We are proud to be a GSE Systems, Inc. subsidiary.
Hyperspring is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.