- Job Title
- Staff Accountant
- Job ID
- Boston, MA 02114
- Other Location
Mass Insight is growing and is looking for a team member to fill the critical role of Staff Accountant reporting to the Accounting & Finance Manager. If you connect with our mission, enjoy a friendly and professional work environment, desire opportunities for professional learning and growth, and possess the following qualifications, we’d love to talk to you about joining the Mass Insight team in our Boston office.
With an annual budget of approximately $8,000,000 and complex programs, the accounting and finance team processes a very large volume of invoices, bill payments and expense reports. Fundraising, business development efforts, and large-scale teacher professional development programs are ongoing throughout the year. With a sophisticated Board supporting Mi’s work, the accounting and finance team also is charged with providing timely, accurate, and informative financial reporting.
- Degree in accounting required
- Experience with accrual-basis accounting
- Team player and collaborator
- Effective communicator
- Ability to prioritize effectively
- Attentive to details
- Proficient in the use of technology
- Ability to problem solve
- Creative thinker for process improvement
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Staff Accountant will develop a broad perspective about the inner workings of Mi and will work with folks from across the Organization to contribute to timely, accurate financial reporting to internal and external stakeholders and effective cash flow management through responsibilities including payroll and accounts payable processing, monitoring of receivables, and maintaining cash balances in QuickBooks. The Staff Accountant will work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of staff and management and with external vendors.
The Staff Accountant does the following:
- Prepares weekly payables for processing (most of our payables are released electronically through bill.com rather than via check processing)
- Reviews and process expense reports for payment through Expensify
- Serves as a point of contact for certain vendors
- Monitors accounts receivable and coordinate collections efforts with program operations
- Liaises with internal departments pertaining to payables and receivables
- Assist with biweekly and semi-monthly payroll processes and post related general ledger entries
- Maintains fixed asset subledger
- Reconciles bank cash and debt accounts to QuickBooks
- Reconciles and analyze accruals, prepaid expenses and other accounts
- Prepares and post general ledger entries related to Monthly close
- Participates in annual budget preparation and monthly budget versus actual reporting
- Supports the annual financial statement audit process (i.e., prepare schedules, account reconciliations and respond to auditor requests for data)
- Assist with year-end preparation of 1099 tax filings.
- Participate in other general accounting projects as needed.
The Staff Accountant will interact extensively with the following software platforms (almost entirely cloud-based platforms):
- Online banking portal
- Insperity payroll and job-cost system
About Mass Insight
Currently, thirty-eight team members across the country work tireless to achieve our vision - a world in which student achievement and related life outcomes no longer correlate with race, gender, ethnicity, social class, or zip code because all students have equitable opportunities, supports, and access to quality education.
Our mission is to provide leadership in closing achievement and opportunity gaps for underserved students to drive college and career success by focusing on system transformation and student academic success.
Seventeen members of our teamwork in our Boston office, while the rest predominantly work on site at client schools across the country. We are a consulting practice, executing on client engagement through the delivery of the services of our deeply talented and experience consultants.
Mass Insight has very competitive benefits to attract, retain and reward our very talented team.