Product Manager - Cladding & Pergola
- Job Title
- Product Manager - Cladding & Pergola
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Product Manager – Cladding & Pergola
Department: Product & Brand
Manager: Director, Product & Brand (Composites)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
Fortress Building Products is seeking a dynamic Product Manager to join our Product & Brand team. This role will be responsible for building and sustaining strong product categories, meeting market demands, and providing long-term financial success for our cladding and pergola product categories. The Product Manager will interface and have direct involvement with multiple disciplines including Sales, Marketing, Product Innovations, Global Logistics, Manufacturing, Inventory Management, and Executive Leadership.
The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented individual with a high mechanical aptitude and market-focused view on profitable growth through proper product messaging, positioning, pricing, and training.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement – We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop product positioning and messaging that differentiates products in the market.
- Develop the strategy and manage marketing programs that drive demand for assigned products.
- Ensure marketing and technical resources such as, but not limited to, displays, installation instructions, packaging, website, product guides, literature, press releases, e-blasts, videos, mailers, promotions, etc. are completed and distributed.
- Optimize product pricing and margin management with continuous cost maintenance and margin analysis to develop, communicate, and manage pricing plans consistent with company strategic plans.
- Communicate the value proposition of the products to the sales team and customers and develop sales tools to support the selling process.
- Create, coordinate, and conduct regular product training at all levels of the sales channel.
- Develop in-depth technical expertise in the products, their uses, and applications. Serve as the resident expert on the associated space, including full understanding of the competitive landscape and opportunities.
- Responsible for maximizing commercialization opportunities of each product line.
- Develop and execute the 1-year product plan and competitive landscape. Update annually.
- Oversee product inventory management from a demand perspective and communicate with Global Logistics frequently to assure in stock positions of all products.
- Conduct product life cycle management analysis including market assessments and recommend product development enhancements and additions for product category expansion and profitability of the assigned product categories.
- Be the packaging authority for all assigned items, including packaging updates to address market needs, and manage creation of new product packaging.
- Coordinate with factories as the primary authority for product costing, specifications, packaging, and communication of demand requirements.
- Attend industry events and work trade shows as applicable.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delay, or unexpected events.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflows and procedures.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Consultative Selling – Qualifies potential customers; builds rapport and establishes trust; asks questions to discover client business needs; applies product and market knowledge effectively; presents solutions that meets customer objectives; manages and documents sales process.
Continuous Learning – Assess own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
Cooperation – Establishes and maintains effective relationships; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
Customer Focus – Identifies and prioritizes customer needs and recognizes constraints; responds promptly to customer needs; seeks to find out more about customers and provide a better product or service; adopts professional approach to customers; is reliable and delivers on promises.
Impact & Influence – Pursues and wins support for ideas; displays ability to influence key decision-makers; achieves win-win outcomes; uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals; addresses divergent opinions.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Technical Expertise – Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems; develops solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches; is sought out to provide advice or solutions in the area of expertise; keeps informed about current developments in the area of expertise.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or related field required
- Experience working within the building materials sector and intimate knowledge of both the residential and commercial sectors is a plus
- Understanding of the commercial specification process, and messaging to architects, designers, general contractors, and sub-contractors with an understanding of the different needs, language, and responsibilities is strongly desired
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in product management, marketing, or technical sales within the building materials industry
- Proficient in translating and condensing highly technical product offerings and concepts effectively for a wide variety of audiences
- Capable of establishing credibility with sales team, end user customers, and partners
- Collaborative, team-oriented, and skilled at working effectively with cross functional teams
- Experience with developing competitive analysis and price benchmarking
- Demonstrated experience bringing new products to market and in successful demand creation
- Proven ability to develop product and marketing strategies and effectively communicate recommendations to executive leadership
- Strong consultative selling, negotiation, and communication skills
- Professional presentation skills; confident speaking to large groups educated on the subject matter
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong ability with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Willingness and ability to travel overnight up to 10% of the time
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required. Ability to uphold the stress of traveling.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.