Senior Financial Analyst
- Job Title
- Senior Financial Analyst
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Senior Financial Analyst
Manager: Director, Financial Planning, Reporting, & Analysis
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
Fortress Building Products is looking for an experienced Senior Financial Analyst to join our Finance Team. This position will report to the Director Financial Planning, Reporting, & Analysis, and will be responsible for supporting Fortress Building Products and its strategic growth.
Working in conjunction with the Director, Financial Planning, Reporting, & Analysis, this position assists with the financial oversight of assigned business functions within the company. The Senior Financial Analyst works closely with the CEO, COO, CFO, and members of the Executive Leadership team (VPs) in the overall strategic and financial aspects of the business. This position also supports the company’s overall corporate financial system and structure (e.g., Core Financial Reporting, Planning, and Analysis | Financial Modeling / Budgeting | Sales Reporting, Planning, and Analysis) and other corporate administrative functions.
The ideal candidate for this position will have previous experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP, heavy budgeting experience, and a complete understanding of the financial statements.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement – We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Operational & Financial Performance Reporting, Monitoring, and Improvement
- Assist in the monitoring of the financial, operational, and strategic performance of the business; follow-up on unusual trends and variance to expectations.
- Continually evaluate, challenge, improve efficiency and financial transparency, and add value to the organization.
- Conduct routine and ad hoc management reporting and analysis of monthly, quarterly, and annual key performance indicators and business drivers for presentation to Executive management.
- Assist the CEO, COO, CFO, and members of the Executive Leadership (VPs) team in actions to drive improved financial, operational, and strategic performance.
- Lead continuous improvement opportunities to improve forecasting, cost structuring, planning, and reporting (data) processes.
Business Planning & Decision Support
- Support the planning, execution, and continuous improvement of the enterprise-wide corporate annual (AOP) & budget process, in conjunction with, the long-range plan to vision (LRPV -3 Year to Vision) strategic planning and deployment processes (SDP) to create corporate value.
- Develop balance sheet and cash flow forecasting model and review results weekly in order to make continuous improvements to the model.
- Analyze and synthesize plans and results across multiple business units and shared services (e.g., Sales, Marketing, MFG, Distribution, R&D, Supply Chain, etc.) to identify and explain business drivers at the functional level in support of consolidated presentations to the management team.
- Support corporate strategic planning, scenario analysis, and other business planning and analysis needs related to development of business cases for major enterprise initiatives.
- Assist the Executive Leadership team and staff in providing information clarity, analysis, and insights to support key business decisions related to major investments and/or changes in financial, operational, or strategic direction (e.g. strategic funding requests; capital; growth/lines of business; market segment research).
- Assist in the development and execution of any cross-business unit and platform P&L strategies and initiatives.
Monthly Forecasting, Planning, and Analysis
- Provide, analyze, and assess financial forecasts for the business.
- Analyze and bridge PY vs. CY, Budget vs. CY, expense variances for areas of responsibility.
- Support in the compilation, analysis, and review of financial reporting and analysis to assist CFO and Executive Leadership Team.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delay, or unexpected events.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflows and procedures.
Attention to Detail – Demonstrates thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved; carefully monitors the details of own and others’ work to ensure accuracy and quality; plans and organizes time and resources efficiently; completes all work according to procedures and standards.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Cooperation – Establishes and maintains effective relationships; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
Dependability – Follows instructions; responds to management direction; takes responsibility to own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternative plan.
Financial Management – Responsibly allocates and accounts for the use of fiscal resources; works within the designed budget and keeps in mind the short and long-term organizational goals; considers cost implications of decisions; seeks ways to reduce costs; exercises cost control through expense monitoring and attention to detail.
Impact & Influence – Pursues and wins support for ideas; displays ability to influence key decision-makers; achieves win-win outcomes; uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals; addresses divergent opinions.
Job Knowledge – Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current development; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
Judgement – Exhibits sound and accurate judgement; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Use of Technology – Demonstrates required skills; adapts to new technologies; troubleshoots technological problems; uses technology to increase productivity; keeps technical skills up to date.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance, or related field. CPA, CFA, or MBA preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant accounting, finance, and/or FP&A corporate professional experience
- Public accounting experience a plus
- Proven experience in positions requiring a solid understanding and practical application of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Experience effectively working with and presenting information to senior management
- High level of attention to detail when preparing results
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment
- Strong Microsoft Excel, Pivot Tables, SQL Database, and PowerPoint skills required
- Experience with MS Dynamics GP ERP systems required
- Experience with Jet Reporting preferred, not mandatory
- Well-rounded finance professional who can architect, analyze, and communicate financial information effectively
- Humble, patient, and graceful attitude
- High level of competence and proficiency in financial analysis; business analysis; planning; and financial, business, and/or statistical modeling
- Good organizational skills in leading/coordinating workload toward common finance goals by setting priorities and working within deadlines; ability to multitask
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written professional communication skills; ability to filter and cater information to a variety of audiences
- High level of professional excellence characterized by sound judgment skills, and drive for results (while still considering the cost vs. benefit dynamic)
- Strong business and financial acumen
- Proven comfort with large data sets and familiarity with data querying, data management tools extremely helpful
- Have an eye for continuous improvement opportunities
- Knowledge of manufacturing/distribution/fulfillment center processes and systems a plus
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.