Electronics Designer (LLNL)
- Job Title
- Electronics Designer (LLNL)
- Job ID
- Livermore, CA 94550
- Other Location
The Integrated Engineering and Design Group (IE&DG) in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has two openings for a highly qualified Electronics Designer. The design/drafting group within IE&DG provides a “central drafting” function supporting a wide variety of customers and projects. Primary support would be in the Advanced Sources and Detectors (ASD) Scorpius Program. Secondary support would include Physical and Life Science, (PLS), Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI), Global Security (GS), accelerator technologies, high-energy physics, Energy, National Ignition Facility (NIF), and others.
Under minimal supervision, the designer will provide intermediate-to-advanced electronics drafting and design support for apparatus, equipment, assemblies, components, facilities, utilities and systems. You will work from and contribute to design concepts. You will develop, interpret, and translate concepts into design layouts while solving moderately complex technical problems and exercising regular decision-making skills to establish techniques and procedures. Because of the vast and varying types of work we are involved with, this position will require the Electronics Designer to have the ability to be flexible, working with various groups/projects that require design assistance.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Provide general Electronics drafting and design support to lead designers, engineering, scientific, and technical staff to conceptualize, develop, and complete detailed designs for various electronics applications that address requirements and constraints; translate these solutions into schematic, fabrication, wiring, interconnect, chassis, cable, and assembly drawings utilizing knowledge of CAD tools
- Incorporate advanced knowledge of CAD modeling of design concepts using AutoCAD 2013 2D and 3D software
- Develop detailed fabrication, specifications, and documentation for all designs
- Perform basic calculations to support technical work using standard engineering formulas; analyze cost effectiveness of design, schedule, and materials
- Work independently on small projects and/or contribute to large team projects
- Interact productively with vendors, customers, and other associates outside the work unit.
- Maintain documentation in a configuration management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Associate’s degree in Electronics Design/Drafting Technology; or relevant degree containing significant science, mathematics, and electronics engineering coursework with related experience; or Certificate in Electronics Design/Drafting Technology with related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Intermediate knowledge and applied experience to generate moderately complex schematic, fabrication, wiring, interconnect, chassis, cable, panel layouts, silkscreens, PWB layouts, associated mechanical detail drawings, and assembly drawings
- Intermediate knowledge of drafting procedures, standards, and vendor products (electronic components)
- Demonstrated ability in the design, function, fabrication processes, and packaging of electronics hardware/systems
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex design requirements, and to exercise creativity and judgment in solving electronic design problems
- Advanced experience with AutoCAD 2013 2D and 3D.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills and abilities to work independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Applied experience with PTC Windchill PDM (Product Data Management) software.
- Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
- Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.