Mechanical Designer (LLNL)
- Job Title
- Mechanical Designer (LLNL)
- Job ID
- Livermore, CA 94550
- Other Location
Working under general direction, the Mechanical Designer will work independently in applying innovative technical expertise to create original design solutions addressing diverse engineering projects and complex design problems. The candidate will support design solutions with documentation and calculations by preparing mechanical designs, mechanical drawing packages, schedules, and status reports. May use independent discretion to set priorities. Successful candidate will collaborate with scientists, engineers, and high level technical personnel to independently formulate advanced technical solutions. Frequent decision making is to be based on interpreting and analyzing complex data. Successful candidate will make independent technical decisions that may have significant impact to broad segments or sections of a project with moderate to high consequence of error.
This position will require initiative and the exercise of independent judgment while following laboratory policies and procedures, industry standards and specifications. This position will report programmatically to the Program Leader or his designee, and administratively to the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) Group Supervisor within the Engineering Directorate.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Perform development, concept, and completion of detailed designs of hardware for accelerator, pulse power, laser, optics, cryogenics, high-vacuum, precision manipulation, optomechanical sensor systems, sensor payloads, and other mechanical applications for a variety of mechanical instruments and apparatus
- Apply advanced knowledge of 3D CAD modeling of design concepts using PTC Creo 3
- Provide advanced conceptual designs and layouts; generate fabrication, assembly, and installation drawings; develop other documentation for all design
- Present designs and participate in formal design reviews
- Advise in the design, fabrication, and installation of hardware
- Review and approve drawings for accuracy, completeness, form, fit, and function
- Perform detailed interference and tolerance stack-up analyses to validate form, fit, function, and cost optimization of each design; understand and demonstrate competence with engineering formulas and calculations.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- AS degree, or equivalent with applicable experience in the mechanical engineering field.
- Working knowledge of developing design concepts with a broad background in various project-related sub-disciplines
- Experience within the scope of conception, design, fabrication, materials, and prototyping projects from start to finish
- Demonstrated ability to analyze tolerance stack-ups.
- Advanced knowledge of 3D CAD modeling of design concepts using PTC Creo 3
- Advanced knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting including ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing standard
- Experience working as a member of a project team with engineers, scientists, designers, high-level technicians, and coordinators.
- Ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner in both verbal and written form to peers and managers and to small and large groups as needed and required.
- Ability to independently solve problems and achieve results on schedule
- Skills in Microsoft software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical/engineering technology or equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Applied experience with the Pro-E Mechanical/Creo Simulate performing engineering analysis (FEA, thermal calculations)
- Significant experience making independent, fundamental decisions regarding a variety of technical problems.
- Advanced knowledge in engineering analysis, design, fabrication, assembly techniques and materials, material properties, and manufacturing methods
- Applied experience with PTC Windchill
- Experience in reviewing and verifying the accuracy of work performed by peers and other engineering disciplines as needed
- Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
- Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.