Drafter/CAD Operator IV (National Ignition Facility)
- Job Title
- Drafter/CAD Operator IV (National Ignition Facility)
- Job ID
- Livermore, CA 94550
- Other Location
This position is supporting the National Ignition Facility (NIF) which is the world’s largest and most energetic laser facility ever built. NIF is also the most precise and reproducible laser as well as the largest optical instrument. The giant laser has nearly 40,000 optics, which precisely guide, reflect, amplify, and focus 192 laser beams onto a fusion target about the size of a pencil eraser.
The National Ignition Facility (NIF) and Photon Science Directorate has an opening for an electronic design engineer with AutoCAD experience. Applicants must possess an enthusiasm for CAD work and a willingness to pursue professional growth in the field of electronic design. NIF is a state-of-the art, one of a kind facility that requires fast-paced, highly skilled, and trained employees. This position will specifically report to the NIF Electronic Engineering design group. NIF will provide the successful candidate an opportunity to be part of an elite team in advancing forward into the future of lasers with advanced science and physics.
Due to the vast and varying types of experiments, NIF is a 24/7 operational facility. This position may require the successful candidate to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. This position may also require working alternate schedules such as 4/10’s or 12 hour shifts. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Provide general electro-mechanical drafting and design support to lead designers, engineering, scientific, and technical staff utilizing knowledge of CAD tools where design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Perform basic calculations to support technical work using standard engineering formulas.
- Maintain drawings and other technical records using the Product Lifecycle Management tool Windchill.
- Provide graphics and related technical material in support of design reviews, procedures, and other documentation.
- Review completed drawings and other documentation for adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Associates Degree (AA/AS) in Electrical Design/Drafting Technology or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience (4+ years) in electronics design.
- Experience with AutoCAD 2017
- Desire to work with electronic hardware driven by a curiosity of how things work
- Ability to follow direction and willing to learn from others.
- Capable of sharing ideas with peers and managers
- Familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to interpret and follow notes, sketches, drawings, specifications, and procedures
- Must be able to meet pre-employment requirements consisting of a physical, drug screen and background investigation under clearance requirements from the Department of Energy
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- B.S. Degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering or related field
- Ability to generate interconnection and wiring diagrams, cable assembly drawings, panel layouts and silkscreens and associated mechanical detail drawings
- Experience with Mentor Graphics PADS software
- Experience with PTC Windchill or other product lifecycle management tool
- Experience using Creo Parametric 3.0 CAD software
- Experience using Creo Schematics 4.0 CAD software
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5)
- Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
- Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.