Senior Business Analyst
- Job Title
- Senior Business Analyst
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Senior Business Analyst
Manager: Chief Operating Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
The Senior Business Analyst is responsible for evaluating opportunities and executing strategies in support of strategic growth and continuous improvement initiatives for Fortress Building Products. The Senior Business Analyst reports to the Chief Operating Officer and will assist in leading initiatives across Fortress Building Products. This position works closely with the Executive team (CEO, COO, CFO, and VPs) as well as functional department leaders.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement - We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Business Planning & Decision Support
- Support the planning, execution and continuous improvement of the enterprise-wide corporate annual and long-range strategic planning and execution to create business value.
- Analyze and synthesize plans and results across multiple business functions (e.g., Sales, Marketing, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Innovations, etc.) to identify and explain business drivers at the functional level in support of consolidated recommendations and presentations.
- Support corporate strategic planning, scenario analysis, and other business planning and analysis needs related to development of business cases for major enterprise initiatives.
- Assist Executive Leadership and staff in providing information clarity, analysis, and insights to support key business decisions related to major investments and/or changes in financial, operational or strategic direction (e.g. strategic funding requests, capital needs, growth/exit of lines of business, etc.).
- Assist in the development and execution of any cross-business unit and platform P&L strategies and initiatives.
Operational & Financial Performance Reporting, Monitoring, and Improvement
- Assist in the monitoring of the financial, operational, and strategic performance of the business units; follow-up on unusual trends and variance to expectations.
- Continually evaluate, challenge, improve efficiency and financial transparency, and add value to the organization.
- Conduct routine and ad hoc management reporting and analysis of monthly, quarterly, and annual key performance indicators and business drivers for presentation to Executive management.
- Assist the Executive Leadership team in actions to drive improved financial, operational, and strategic performance.
- Lead continuous improvement opportunities to operational efficiency, cost structures, and processes.
Monthly Forecasting, Planning, & Analysis
- Assess the adequacy of and provide the appropriate direction on business unit forecasts and expense management processes.
- Analyze and bridge PY vs. CY, Budget vs. CY, expense variances for areas of responsibility.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delay, or unexpected events.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Continuous Learning – Assess own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Technical Expertise – Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems; develops solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches; is sought out to provide advice or solutions in the area of expertise; keeps informed about current developments in the area of expertise.
Financial Management – Responsibly allocates and accounts for the use of fiscal resources; works within the designed budget and keeps in mind the short and long-term organizational goals; considers cost implications of decisions; seeks ways to reduce costs; exercises cost control through expense monitoring and attention to detail.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
Judgement – Exhibits sound and accurate judgement; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’ degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance or related field required. MBA preferred.
- 2 - 4 years of relevant accounting, finance, and/or FP&A corporate professional experience
- Public accounting experience a plus
- Proven experience in positions requiring a solid understanding and practical application of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Experience in sourcing and off-shore logistics a plus
- Experience in manufacturing and distributions environments a plus
- High level of competence and proficiency in financial analysis, business analysis, planning, and financial, business, and/or statistical modeling
- High level of professional excellence characterized by sound judgment skills and drive for results (while still considering the cost vs. benefit dynamic)
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills; ability to filter and cater information to a variety of audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills; comfortable collaborating with others on a variety of initiatives
- Proven comfort with large data sets and the tools to manage large data sets
- Ability to manage time effectively, set / adjust priorities, and consistently meet deadlines
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Have an eye for continuous improvement opportunities
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office; Excel and PowerPoint skills required
- Experience with ERP system preferred, not mandatory
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.