Director, Product and Brand
- Job Title
- Director, Product and Brand
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Director, Product and Brand
Department: Product and Brand
Manager: VP, Product and Brand
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
The Director, Product and Brand will be responsible for the brand and product management of a branded family of products within Fortress Building Products ensuring product success and increased profitability across the brand’s product portfolio. This position will define and drive the growth strategy for the brand that includes effective planning, marketing, and commercialization of multiple product lines within the market.
The Director, Product and Brand must possess a thorough understanding of the competitive landscape and be an expert on the product and competition and how they are positioned. This role will need to have a strong insight into who our customers are, how they buy, and their key buying criteria. The Director, Product and Brand must possess a high mechanical aptitude, a strategic vision for growth, and the drive to make that vision a reality.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement - We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Owns the brand and associated product portfolio.
- Leads, manages, and holds accountable a product management team for the associated product category. Responsible for individual performance management as well as management of business results.
- Build cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders critical to the delivery of the product portfolio.
- Creates the brand strategy and associated product category messaging, assuring cohesiveness to the Fortress Building Products brand strategy.
- Owns development of the 1-year product plan and road map for the brand’s product portfolio. Works with VP, Product and Brand on development of a 3-year product plan and road map. Review and updates annually.
- Structures and manages Product Managers to assure the brand optimizes the commercialization opportunities of each product line.
- Owns product marketing strategy and demand creation for the brand and associated product lines.
- Monitors competitive product developments and drives competitive benchmarking activities.
- Directs team to work with product development to successfully develop and launch new products and enhancements in alignment with the product plan.
- Establish product price positioning and set pricing guidelines by utilizing market research data, reviewing production and sales costs, and anticipating volume.
- Works with Marketing team to develop strategies and tactics for successful marketing of products, including new product launches and repositioning of current products.
- Evaluates promotional plans to ensure they are consistent with product strategy, convey a relevant message, and provide sufficient return-on-investment (ROI).
- Closely monitors each associated product line to ensure the product delivers value to target customers, achieves portfolio objectives, brand positioning, and channel segmentation/differentiation goals.
- Summarizes and communicates business results for the associated product category leveraging analytics and sales data, customer feedback, and other data with accountability for business results.
- Owns the gross margin dollars for the brand.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Direct responsibility to lead, manage, and hold accountable the following positions and indirect responsibility for all employees that report into these positions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and developing direct reports; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Sr. Product Manager
- Product Manager
- Technical Support Associate
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Managing Customer Focus – Promotes customer focus; ensures that organizational resources and support are focused on meeting customer needs; holds others accountable for meeting customer needs; establishes relationships with key customers; monitors customer satisfaction; develops new approaches to meeting customer needs.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Performance Coaching – Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths and weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Technical Expertise – Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems; develops solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches; is sought out to provide advice or solutions in the area of expertise; keeps informed about current developments in the area of expertise.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or related field required. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years in product management and/or marketing roles
- Minimum of 2 years in a direct management role
- Subject matter expert/industry experience in railing, decking, or similar outdoor living space products
- Proficient in translating and condensing highly technical product offerings and concepts effectively for a wide variety of audiences
- Capable of establishing credibility with sales team, end user customers, and partners
- Collaborative, team-oriented, and skilled at working effectively with cross functional teams in a decentralized matrix environment
- Experience with developing competitive analysis and price benchmarking
- Demonstrated experience bringing new products to market and in successful demand creation
- Proven ability to develop product and marketing strategies and effectively communicate recommendations to executive leadership
- A forward-thinker with a solid understanding of how to formulate short and long-term business strategies
- Experience with Lean, AGILE, or other product development methodologies
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills with a willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Up to 10% travel
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required. Ability to uphold the stress of traveling.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.