VP, Product and Brand
- Job Title
- VP, Product and Brand
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Vice President, Product and Brand
Department: Product and Brand
Manager: Chief Operating Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
The VP, Product and Brand will serve as the owner of the Fortress Building Products’ brand and product portfolio strategically focused on product management and demand creation across all brands and product categories. This position will be responsible for the development and adoption of a holistic brand message and a unified approach for increasing sales for consistent revenue streams for Fortress Building Products.
The VP, Product and Brand will own the 3-year category plans and product roadmaps for the company’s portfolio of products overseeing the full product life cycle and all marketing activities with the aim of competitive product differentiation and increased market share. The VP, Product and Brand must possess a growth-oriented mindset, high mechanical aptitude, and passion for innovative building products. This position will report directly to the COO and will serve as a member of the executive team.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement - We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Owns the Fortress Building Products (FBP) product portfolio and brand.
- Assures cohesive brand strategy for FBP, each sub brand, and product category.
- Responsible for overseeing the full product life cycle.
- Owns the 3-year category plans and product roadmaps for the FBP product portfolio. Reviews and updates annually.
- Structures and manages the team to assure FBP optimizes the commercialization opportunities for each product line.
- Creates strategies and brands to introduce new products and their associated pricing.
- Owns product marketing strategy and demand creation.
- Develops marketing strategies and new product offerings to set the direction for FBP in selecting target markets and customer segments.
- Establishes and monitors monthly performance metrics for the Marketing and Product Development teams.
- Utilizes Lean, AGILE, Stage Gate, or other product development methodologies to accelerate product and service delivery.
- Directs the annual business planning activities in order to optimize, model, and manage FBP products and brands for tangible sales growth.
- Leverages the FBP platform to inform marketing strategy and product targets as well as support product evolution.
- Owns product pricing across channels and overall gross margin dollars.
- Collaborates with Sales in establishing revenue targets.
- Supports setting marketing/sales objectives for the group and developing strategies and tactics in support of FBP’s mission and goals.
- Responsible for developing and managing FBP Product and Brand budgets.
- Owner of patents and trademarks.
- Directs the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of staff to ensure the availability of the required management and professional talent.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Direct responsibility to lead, manage, and hold accountable the following positions and indirect responsibility for all employees that report into these positions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and developing direct reports; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Director, Fortress Railing Products
- Director, Fortress Framing Products
- Director, Fortress Tech Products
- Director, Fortress Fence & Security Products
- Director, OZCO
- Director, Innovations
- Marketing Manager
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Business Ethics – Treats people with respect; keep commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Managing Customer Focus – Promotes customer focus; ensures that organizational resources and support are focused on meeting customer needs; holds others accountable for meeting customer needs; establishes relationships with key customers; monitors customer satisfaction; develops new approaches to meeting customer needs.
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths and weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
Impact & Influence - Pursues and wins support for ideas; displays ability to influence key decision-makers; achieves win-win outcomes; uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals; addresses divergent opinions.
Recruiting & Staffing – Utilizes recruitment sources; exhibits sound interviewing skills; presents positive, realistic view of the organization; analyzes and forecasts staffing needs; makes quality hiring decisions.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes oneself available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Performance Coaching – Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
Technical Expertise – Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems; develops solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches; is sought out to provide advice or solutions in the area of expertise; keeps informed about current developments in the area of expertise.
Financial Management – Responsibly allocates and accounts for the use of fiscal resources; works within the designed budget and keeps in mind the short and long-term organizational goals; considers cost implications of decisions; seeks ways to reduce costs; exercises cost control through expense monitoring and attention to detail.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or related field required. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years in product management and/or marketing roles
- Minimum of 2 years in a senior leadership role
- Minimum of 5 years in related industry experience preferred
- High mechanical aptitude with an understanding of how our product works and installs
- Ability to identify and research new product and market opportunities
- Experience with developing competitive analysis and price benchmarking
- Demonstrated experience bringing new products to market and in successful demand creation
- A forward-thinker with a solid understanding of how to formulate short and long-term business strategies
- Experience with Lean, AGILE, Stage Gate, or other product development methodologies
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills with a willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Visio, and Microsoft Project
- Up to 25% travel including some international travel
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required. Ability to uphold the stress of traveling.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.