- Job Title
- VP, Operations
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Vice President, Operations
Manager: Chief Operating Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
The VP, Operations will provide strategic leadership and drive continuous improvement in operational performance to support the company’s aggressive growth plans and create a competitive advantage within the various competing market segments. This position will be responsible for the overall management, direction, and coordination of all manufacturing and distribution operations globally for Fortress Building Products. This position will own the 3-year operational strategy to deliver on efficiencies, cost, quality, capacity, safety, and customer service for both internal and external customers. The VP, Operations must possess a lean mindset, high mechanical aptitude, and passion for continuous improvement. This position will report directly to the COO and will serve as a member of the executive team.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement - We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Owns the operational efficiency, quality, and safety for entire supply chain from manufacturing to end customer delivery.
- Responsible for overseeing the sourcing and manufacturing, quality control, order management, demand planning, inventory planning, and shipping (inbound and outbound) for all products.
- Assures cohesive strategy for lean, high quality operations.
- Develops Operations KPIs and establishes appropriate tracking and communication processes.
- Ensures that manufacturing and delivery schedules are meeting customer service, cost, and quality expectations.
- Owns the 3-year operational strategy and annual planning process for space, equipment, capacity, and related labor to support the company’s aggressive growth plans. Reviews and updates annually.
- Owns relationships with outside vendors and requires high value partnerships (i.e. innovation, cost savings, and productivity enhancements).
- Instills a customer service culture across all Operations.
- Seeks operational excellence as a competitive advantage (lead times, quality, cost, service flexibility, etc.).
- Leads, manages, and holds team accountable for operational excellence, inventory management, logistics and order management, and global sourcing and manufacturing.
- Responsible for holding manufacturing partners accountable to the specifications and encouraging delivery of innovation, productivity, etc.
- Provide leadership around identifying and implementing global productivity improvement measures.
- Direct the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of staff to ensure the availability of the required management and professional talent.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Direct responsibility to lead, manage, and hold accountable the following positions and indirect responsibility for all employees that report into these positions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and developing direct reports; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Director, Warehouse Operations & Inventory Management
- Director, Global Logistics & Order Management
- Director, Global Sourcing & Manufacturing
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Business Ethics – Treats people with respect; keep commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Managing Customer Focus – Promotes customer focus; ensures that organizational resources and support are focused on meeting customer needs; holds others accountable for meeting customer needs; establishes relationships with key customers; monitors customer satisfaction; develops new approaches to meeting customer needs.
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths and weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
Recruiting & Staffing – Utilizes recruitment sources; exhibits sound interviewing skills; presents positive, realistic view of the organization; analyzes and forecasts staffing needs; makes quality hiring decisions.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes oneself available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Performance Coaching – Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
Technical Expertise – Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems; develops solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches; is sought out to provide advice or solutions in the area of expertise; keeps informed about current developments in the area of expertise.
Financial Management – Responsibly allocates and accounts for the use of fiscal resources; works within the designed budget and keeps in mind the short and long-term organizational goals; considers cost implications of decisions; seeks ways to reduce costs; exercises cost control through expense monitoring and attention to detail.
Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in a timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering or related field required. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years progressive operations management experience with strong experience / background in all related disciplines
- Minimum of 2 years in a senior leadership role
- Minimum of 5 years in related industry experience preferred
- High mechanical aptitude including strong working knowledge of our products
- A forward-thinker with a solid understanding of how to formulate long-term business strategies
- Demonstrated success in the execution of continuous improvement initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to manage sites/people remotely plus the ability to lead/manage change is critical
- Experience with international (U.S., Mexico, China) contract manufacturing operations advantageous
- Experience with warehouse and distribution operations including order processing, packaging and shipping, product storage, etc.
- Lean manufacturing and Six Sigma experience preferred
- Passion for growth and continuous improvement
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Visio, and Microsoft Project
- Up to 20% - 40% travel including international travel
- Lean Certification or Six Sigma Certification a plus but not required
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office and warehouse environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment. Some of the work may be required in the operating units which can require usage of required personal protective equipment including steel toe shoes, hearing protection, etc.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required. Ability to uphold the stress of traveling.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.