International Freight Specialist
- Job Title
- International Freight Specialist
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
International Freight Specialist
Job Title: International Freight Specialist
Department: Global Logistics & Order Management
Manager: Director of Global Logistics & Order Management
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
The International Freight Specialist is responsible for all ocean freight and air shipment related task and functions. This role will handle both the imports of containers and exports of LCL, package and air shipments. The International Freight Specialist will work within the Global Logistics & Order Management team to assure the transportation of goods.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement - We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with freight forwarders and carriers for all international transportation of goods.
- Confirm all ocean freight and air shipment bookings with designated provider
- Record itemized planned ocean freight cost components for each shipment
- Maintain shipment logs and ensure accuracy of data
- Manage the flow of all inbound containers from booking date to arrival date
- Assist in customer inquiries regarding the estimated arrival of inbound containers
- Prepare and provide quarterly forecasts to ocean freight partners to ensure uninterrupted service during peak seasons
- Coordinate with overseas teams to ensure timely delivery of shipments
- Prepare export documents for LCL, package or air shipments
- Work with service providers on special rate request, air quotes, LCLs, etc.
- Record and report on actual ocean freight, transportation and brokerage spend
- Track and report on import KPI’s and service performance with ocean partners
- Provide guidance to customers receiving direct containers to ensure timely delivery
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and drive continuous improvement throughout the organization.
- Initiate and participate in cross-functional project teams to drive process improvements in the areas of ocean freight, domestic inbound transportation.
- Other responsibilities as needed
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Adaptability- Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delay, or unexpected events.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Cooperation- Establishes and maintains effective relationships; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
Customer Focus – Identifies and prioritizes customer needs and recognizes constraints; responds promptly to customer needs; seeks to find out more about customers and provide a better product or service; adopts professional approach to customers; is reliable and delivers on promises.
Dependability – Follows instructions; responds to management direction; takes responsibility to own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternative plan.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- BA/BS degree required
- 5+ years of experience managing import/export shipments, or ocean freight
- Experienced in working with freight forwarders and ocean freight containers
- Working knowledge of US Customs Regulations and Harmonized Tariff Schedule
- Process-oriented mindset with superior analytical skills and creative problem solving capabilities
- In depth knowledge and experience with various ERP systems, implementation teams, and/or designated power-user
- Strong PC skills using Microsoft Office Suite - Advanced level Excel skills
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains a plus.
- Good time management skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks being key
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Attention to detail, thorough, organized
- Able to take initiative and ownership of assigned work projects
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.