Director, Financial Planning, Reporting, & Analysis
- Job Title
- Director, Financial Planning, Reporting, & Analysis
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Director, Financial Planning, Reporting, & Analysis
Manager: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
Fortress Building Products is seeking an experienced Director, Financial Planning, Reporting & Analysis to join our team. This role will lead all aspects of external financial (GAAP) reporting, planning, budgeting, forecasting, and operational reporting for the company. A highly visible role, the Director, Financial Planning, Reporting, & Analysis, will report directly to the CFO and interface with key members of the Senior Leadership team and the organization.
Fortress is a fast paced, high-growth organization and this role will be vital to the core focus of financial visibility both internally and externally. In addition, the Director, Financial Planning, Reporting & Analysis will lead the organization in the use of effective analytical reporting, tools, scorecards, and improved budgeting and forecasting. The desired outcome is to enable the organization to achieve our corporate goals and achieve our vision and purpose to “lead global change in the way people build and live.”
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement – We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Lead and Manage
- Develop and manage FP&A team, including oversight of day-to-day activities, goal setting and expectations, and skill development.
- Ensure external financial reporting is timely and compliant with federal, state, and local legal requirements by researching existing and new legislation, consulting with outside advisors, and filing financial reports in accordance with GAAP.
- Ensure timely reporting and compliance with banking and other 3rd party relationships.
Operational Reporting, Business Performance and Analysis
- Ensure internal reporting of key performance metrics is established on a standardized and consistent basis to support operational integrity and growth.
- Provide proactive internal reporting and analysis and tools to generate growth.
- Develop and provide key performance metrics, reports, and dashboards to track and measure business performance against targets and the company’s strategic objectives. Identify and explain key cause and effect drivers.
- Support business and product lines, channels, and products to determine their profitability and identify opportunities.
Planning and Budgeting
- Drive and maintain the 3-year planning process, in conjunction with the Senior Leadership Team.
- Drive an efficient, effective, and comprehensive process for developing financial budgets including developing, communicating, and driving the budget timeline, creating budget templates, creating/maintaining budget roll-up files, and preparing budget deliverables.
- Implement financial tools, reporting mechanisms, business modeling, and financial planning processes that are streamlined, timely, and accurate and will scale with the company's growth.
- Drive financial planning needs of the company by delivering sound financial information to the executive team, including business trends, key performance metrics, and in-depth cause and effect analysis on a variety of complex financial/business/operating issues.
- Lead the evaluation of potential acquisitions, business model changes, International opportunities, government policy etc. and the associated business impact, ROI, due diligence and valuation considerations and recommendations.
Financial Risk and Controls
- Identify financial or other internal control risks and ensure they are communicated and addressed with the Senior Leadership Team.
- Ensure Property and Casualty Insurance compliance and administration are properly managed and maintained.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES Direct responsibility to lead, manage, and hold accountable the following positions and indirect responsibility for all employees that report into these positions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and developing direct reports; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Sr. Financial Analyst
- Reporting Support Analyst
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflows and procedures.
Attention to Detail – Demonstrates thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved; carefully monitors the details of own and others’ work to ensure accuracy and quality; plans and organizes time and resources efficiently; completes all work according to procedures and standards.
Business Acumen– Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Business Ethics – Treats people with respect; keep commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Financial Management – Responsibly allocates and accounts for the use of fiscal resources; works within the designed budget and keeps in mind the short and long-term organizational goals; considers cost implications of decisions; seeks ways to reduce costs; exercises cost control through expense monitoring and attention to detail.
Impact & Influence – Pursues and wins support for ideas; displays ability to influence key decision-makers; achieves win-win outcomes; uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals; addresses divergent opinions.
Judgement – Exhibits sound and accurate judgement; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Performance Coaching – Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths and weaknesses; analyzes market and competition; identifies external threats and opportunities; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Technical Expertise – Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems; develops solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches; is sought out to provide advice or solutions in the area of expertise; keeps informed about current developments in the area of expertise.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance, or related field required. MBA strongly preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant accounting, finance, and/or FP&A corporate professional experience.
- 2+ years financial planning leadership experience.
- Public accounting experience a plus.
- Experience in manufacturing and distribution environments a plus.
- Proven experience in positions requiring a solid understanding and practical application of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- High level of competence and proficiency in financial analysis, business analysis, planning, and financial, business, and/or statistical modeling.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office; Excel and PowerPoint skills required.
- Experience with MS Dynamics GP ERP system preferred, not mandatory.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.