Training and Development Specialist
- Job Title
- Training and Development Specialist
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Training and Development Specialist
Job Title: Training and Development Specialist
Department: Human Resources
Manager: Director of Human Resources
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
The Training and Development Specialist will be responsible for executing and managing the employee experience, onboarding integration and training plans for Fortress Building Products newly-hired employees and current employees. This role will be responsible for developing, coordinating, and delivering curriculum, instructional strategy, and content for new hire training programs that support the organization’s strategic goals. The Training and Development Specialist will partner with management and subject matter experts to obtain information required to develop objectives, design documents, and training needs to formulate an ongoing development plan for new employees and current employees. This position will also serve as an ongoing resource to new hires as they integrate into the organization. This position will play an essential role in building out/supporting our Company culture and core values through the onboarding experience.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement - We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Communicates and reinforces the company’s culture to ensure a high level of employee engagement.
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve new hire experience.
- Fosters company culture throughout onboarding and training experience.
- Assures that onboarding experience provides role clarity, social integration, and knowledge of company culture.
- Introduces new hires to company culture by providing information on mission, vision, and values
- Exemplifies and lives by Fortress Core Values
- Work with recruiters to manage pre-boarding and new hire paperwork.
- Serves as an ongoing resource to new hires as they onboard to the organization, directly and regularly communicating status updates, following up on action items, and ensuring timely completion of onboarding requirements.
- Work with managers to identify training requirements and design development opportunities to enable all team members to grow in their roles and careers.
- Develop onboarding plans, including but not limited to: orientations, onboarding activities, trainings and general planning around first 90-day logistics.
- Coordinate Day 1 orientation and act as a point of contact for new hires as needed.
- Collect feedback on new hires’ onboarding experience.
- Assist with the development of entire curriculum, instructional strategy, and content for new hire training programs that support the organization’s strategic goals.
- Design and deliver training experiences in multiple formats, instructor-led training, LMS-based eLearning, documentation, and webinar.
- Design, coordinate, and host training sessions in webinar format (e.g., GoToMeeting, WebEx, Adobe Connect or comparable webinar tool).
- Design and delivery of traditional (ILT, OTJ, Train-the-Trainer) and modern (CBT/WBT, vILT) training formats and methods.
- Coordinate training calendar, communication workflow, and enrollment management for new hires.
- Proactively identify opportunities for growing the business through employee development.
- Partner with appropriate departments to assess new employees’ skills, product, and tools training needs and formulate an ongoing development plan.
- Solicits input from and partners with internal stakeholders, Subject Matter Experts, training Team members, and training participants to obtain information required to develop objectives, design documents/storyboards, and new training.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Continuous Learning – Assess own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions; responds to management direction; takes responsibility to own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternative plan.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, instructional design and technology, human resources or relevant field.
- 2-4 years of training content design, training, and onboarding related work experience preferred
- Highly motivational and positive, considered a great people person
- Knowledge of LMS experience preferred. AICC and SCORM compliance standards preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, and facilitation techniques.
- Able to transfer capabilities effectively to classes of different sizes, aptitudes, and backgrounds. Continuously seeks out ways to make content more relevant based on the needs of the audience, and to align with current trends in the industry.
- Able to provide leadership by influence, work collaboratively on teams, and consult effectively and independently with all levels and functional areas of an organization.
- Experience managing and delivering new-hire onboarding and training programs.
- Creativity and ability to think outside the box in building out/supporting our Company culture through the onboarding and training experience.
- Applies knowledge of adult learning theory to identify appropriate training media and methodologies based on audience learning styles, course content, audience location. Content may be created for traditional classroom, online, self-paced e-learning modules or blended approach.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.