- Job Title
- Warehouse Manager
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Manager: VP, Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
The Warehouse Manager is responsible for driving operational excellence in the warehouse daily operations. The manager will lead his team to develop best practices by utilizing extensive warehouse expertise, logistics business knowledge, and consulting with internal specialist.
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement – We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensure a safe work environment for all employees.
- Develop and deploy operational strategies for Warehouse implementation.
- Direct ownership of internal control system processes, best practice process management, and safety policies within warehousing team.
- Design and conduct training of new standardized processes, monitor effectiveness of training and implementation.
- Maintains receiving, warehousing, and distribution operations by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures.
- Determine space requirements and material placement in a warehouse. Rotation of stock, elimination of waste in process design, visual workspace.
- Controls inventory levels by conducting physical counts; reconciling with data storage system.
- Maintains physical condition of warehouse by planning and implementing new design layouts.
- Achieves financial objectives by preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Completes warehouse operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Maintains warehouse staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains warehouse staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Drive quality improvements supporting customer loyalty (e.g. reduce the customer complaint rates, increase inventory accuracy) and increase warehouse productivity.
- Ensure continuous communication with internal team members.
- Enable best in class warehouse performance and operational support for the company’s logistics and sales teams.
- Ensure all required paperwork is obtained in a timely fashion and completed daily.
- Complies with federal, state, and local warehousing, material handling, and shipping requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Comply with all Fortress Building Products policies.
- Assisting when necessary with general warehouse operations.
- Additional duties, as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES Direct responsibility to lead, manage, and hold accountable the following positions and indirect responsibility for all employees that report into these positions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and developing direct reports; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Warehouse Lead
- Warehouse Associates
- Shipping & Receiving Clerk
- Inventory Clerk
- Quality Control Inspectors
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflows and procedures.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Cooperation – Establishes and maintains effective relationships; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
Impact & Influence – Pursues and wins support for ideas; displays ability to influence key decision-makers; achieves win-win outcomes; uses authority appropriately to accomplish goals; addresses divergent opinions.
Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
Managing Customer Focus – Promotes customer focus; ensures that organizational resources and support are focused on meeting customer needs; holds others accountable for meeting customer needs; establishes relationships with key customers; monitors customer satisfaction; develops new approaches to meeting customer needs.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes oneself available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Performance Coaching – Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in a timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 10+ years of experience in a warehouse or distribution environment
- 5+ years of progressive warehouse management experience
- Transportation management experience
- Knowledge of distribution center processes
- Expertise in warehouse management procedures and best practices
- Proven ability to implement process improvement initiatives
- Strong knowledge of warehousing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Hands on experience with warehouse management software and databases
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to effectively manage staff
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to work cross-functionally with a variety of departments
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, operate a pallet jack and fork truck preferred
- Bilingual – English/Spanish a plus
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a warehouse environment. Some of the work may require usage of required personal protective equipment including steel toe shoes, hearing protection, etc.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Moderate to heavy lifting is required.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.