Electronics Design Engineer (National Ignition Facility)
- Job Title
- Electronics Design Engineer (National Ignition Facility)
- Job ID
- Livermore, CA 94550
- Other Location
This position is supporting the National Ignition Facility (NIF) which is the world’s largest and most energetic laser facility ever built. NIF is also the most precise and reproducible laser as well as the largest optical instrument. The giant laser has nearly 40,000 optics, which precisely guide, reflect, amplify, and focus 192 laser beams onto a fusion target about the size of a pencil eraser.
The National Ignition Facility (NIF) and Photon Science Directorate has an opening for an electronic design engineer with AutoCAD experience. Applicants must possess an enthusiasm for CAD work and a willingness to pursue professional growth in the field of electronic design. NIF is a state-of-the art, one of a kind facility that requires fast-paced, highly skilled, and trained employees. This position will specifically report to the NIF Electronic Engineering design group. NIF will provide the successful candidate an opportunity to be part of an elite team in advancing forward into the future of lasers with advanced science and physics.
Due to the vast and varying types of experiments, NIF is a 24/7 operational facility. This position may require the successful candidate to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. This position may also require working alternate schedules such as 4/10’s or 12 hour shifts. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Provide electro-mechanical design and drafting support at a system level to engineering, scientific, and technical staff utilizing knowledge of CAD tools where design parameters and establish required specifications.
- Perform calculations to support technical work using standard engineering formulas with minimal oversight.
- Generate or drive electronics design solutions that address requirements and constraints, and translate these solutions into detailed interconnection, fabrication, schematic, wiring, and assembly drawings.
- Provide supporting documentation for electronics design solutions that may include analysis, schedules, costing, and procedures.
- Provide advanced technical advice and solutions in a team environment.
- Maintain drawings and other technical records using the Product Lifecycle Management tool Windchill.
- Provide graphics and related technical material in support of design reviews, procedures, and other documentation.
- Review completed drawings and other documentation for adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Associates Degree (AA/AS) in Electrical Design/Drafting Technology or Mechanical Design/Drafting or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience (8+ years) in advanced electronics design.
- Experience with AutoCAD 2017.
- Experience with Mentor Graphics PADS software.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5).
- Experience with PTC Windchill or any other product lifecycle management tool.
- High level skills, knowledge, and ability to generate complex interconnection and wiring diagrams, assembly drawings, panel layouts, silkscreens, and associated mechanical detail drawings
- Ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner both verbal and written to peers and managers in presentation form and report form, to small and large groups as needed and required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex design requirements, and to exercise creativity and judgment in solving electronics design problems.
- Ability to independently solve problems and achieve results on schedule
- Ability to interpret and follow notes sketches, drawings, specifications, and procedures.
- Experience in reviewing and verifying the accuracy of work performed by peers and other engineering disciplines as needed.
- Experience working as a member of a project team with engineers, scientists, designers, technicians and coordinators.
- Familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- B.S. Degree in Electrical/Electronics or Mechanical Engineering
- Experience using Creo Parametric 3.0 CAD software.
- Experience using Creo Schematics 4.0 CAD software.
- Experience using GerbTool software.
- Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
- Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.