Chemical R&D Scientist
- Job Title
- Chemical R&D Scientist
- Germantown, WI 53022
- Other Location
Summary of Role
The Chemical R&D Scientist demonstrates in depth working knowledge of scientific principles and leads the implementation of new methods/processes to solve problems. This role prepares and reviews summaries of observations and is capable of verbal and written presentations documented proficiently in laboratory notebooks to internal and external audiences. The incumbent will write and review SOPs, training modules, technical transfer documents, specifications, summary reports and technical reports to be sent to clients or used in regulatory filings and is responsible for ensuring complex technical information is well understood by team associates, management and clients. The position performs audits of laboratory work and reports and maintains a high level of professional expertise through familiarity with scientific literature. The Chemical R&D Scientist determines appropriate methods and procedures on new assignments. The position requires superior leadership behaviors of the Sterling's core competencies and non-negotiables, as well as expertise in functional competencies included in this position profile.
- Solves synthetic problems with minimal supervision.
- Executes synthesis activities from gram to multi-kilogram scale with minimal supervision.
- Isolates and purifies products and intermediates by using standard laboratory techniques.
- Interprets and communicates analytical data.
- Performs routine analytical procedures to monitor reaction progress (i.e. TLC, GC, NMR, HPLC, KF).
- Designs multi-step synthetic process from commercially available starting materials to target compounds.
- Performs routine maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment with supervision.
- Writes project documentation (developmental reports and protocols) of medium complexity with supervision.
- Establishes and coordinates activities at contract chemical and analytical laboratories, as required.
- Ensures timely completion and compliance with cGMP and all other relevant company training requirements.
- An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or related field required with minimum of 9+ years’ experience, OR
- Master’s degree in Chemistry or related field with minimum of 3+ years’ experience, OR
- Doctoral degree with a 0-2 years of previous experience.
- Understands reaction mechanisms and can apply them to practical execution of given synthesis.
- Knowledge in handling, analyzing and characterizing chemicals, pharmaceuticals and related organic molecules.
- Requires minimal hands on experience in analytical techniques such as HPLC, GC, etc.
- Ability to apply scientific principles, theories and concepts to research problems and develop solutions for analytical problems related to drug substances in compliance with appropriate Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and regulatory guidelines.
- Demonstrates technical ability to assist in the design and execution of non-routine experiments with supervision.
- Demonstrates ability to correctly analyze data/results and interpret outcome of experiments and to propose appropriate follow-up with supervision.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals technical procedures and governmental regulations and write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Ability to perform complex math functions, compute ratios, rates and percentages while drawing and interpreting graphs and charts.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where limited standardization exists.
- Candidates need to be competent with IT systems, and Microsoft Office including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Diversity and Inclusion
Sterling values diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, past or present military service, marital status, gender identification or expression, medical condition (including genetic characteristics) or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Why consider Sterling?
Sterling Pharma Solutions is a global contract development and manufacturing organisation (CDMO) with more than 50 years’ experience in developing and manufacturing Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs). This is complimented by Antibody Drug Conjugate (ADC) research and development bioconjugation services.
We are a fast growing, dynamic business with facilities in the UK and the US, where we employ more than 800 talented and passionate people who support our customers in bringing new medicines to market, improving and saving the lives of patients.
Our culture and our way of working is what really sets us apart as a business; we aim to deliver an exceptional experience to our customers and our employees. You can expect to be part of a supportive team, all working towards a shared goal: to deliver first-class science and service to our customers every day.