R&D Process Engineer
- Job Title
- R&D Process Engineer
- Job ID
- Fontana, CA
- Other Location
R&D Process Engineer
The role will primarily be responsible for developing market-driven coating technology platforms that feed into technical solutions meeting customer needs, with demonstrated technical and execution excellence. This position requires a motivated, flexible and performance driven Research Engineer with expertise in coatings and printing processes to support the R&D business in delivering results and driving projects forward. The role is responsible for the delivery of projects from concept to implementation while working closely with engineers, scientists, and with other teams from Research, Product Development and Manufacturing Operations, to deliver results for the organization.
Utilizes scientific and/or engineering skills to generate new coating processes and technologies for building composite materials through process design/innovation, experiment designs, coatings formulations, and testing.
· Conduct literature surveys/reviews through independent research in order to develop new concepts resulting in improved, new, or differentiated products
· Use engineering design tools for coating process development
· Use Design of Experiment (DoE) to design and conduct experiments in coating or chemical laboratories to test for fiber cement properties.
· Conduct research and testing to identifying coating formulation associated with a process problem
· Collaborate with peers and cross-functional teams to develop high-performance cement composites resulting in new or improved coating process and formulation development
· Make sound recommendations to R&D leaders and the business based on solid data and in alignment with business strategy
· Submit Concept White Papers as a part of R&Ds innovation approach and strategy
Coordinates and/or participates in pilot and factory trials on new coating processes and improved technologies.
· Design/develop unique coating processes for existing and new coating technologies
· Source coating raw materials for experiments and trials
· Independently plan trials through coordinating resources (both personnel and equipment) and coordinating the availability of coatings and other raw materials
· Overseeing the organization and setting up of the DoE and on-the-floor analytical decisions based on the immediate outcomes of the trial and reporting the final trial outcomes
Utilize effective project management skills to deliver R&D projects on schedule and target, as well as assisting and supporting other project teams or groups within the department when needed
· Understand and explain project objectives and expected outcomes
· Develop effective plans for the projects/tasks
· Write reports and deliver presentations to various stakeholders at various stages of the project
· Knowledge and/or experience in the processes for liquid coatings, digital printing, ink formulation, UV coating, material property and performance characterization using mechanical, physical, and/or chemical testing/analysis, with demonstrated ability in coating formulation.
· Demonstrated ability to design and improve the processes
· Aptitude to analyze results and make recommendations
· Ability to conduct theoretical and experimental investigations according to the plan
· Demonstrated project management skills
· Ability to travel to various work locations as needed
· Strong written and oral communication skills, and ability to clearly communicate research findings through presentations and reports.
· Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate and cooperate with others cross-functionally on multiple projects to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals
· Results driven, self-disciplined, self-directing, and hold high standard in deliverables
· Master’s degree preferred in Engineering fields (Coating engineering, Chemical Engineering, printing engineering, mechanical engineering) AND
· Minimum of 0-5 years of experience in the coating and digital printing industries, including coating process development and technology implementation