Manager, Technical Evaluations & Proposals
- Job Title
- Manager, Technical Evaluations & Proposals
- Germantown, WI 53022
- Other Location
Summary of Role
The Manager, Technical Evaluations and Proposals is accountable for driving results in a fast-paced environment by providing daily guidance to the Technical Evaluation team regarding prioritization of opportunities and ensures that the most competitive commercial and operational strategy is applied to drive growth of designated business units. The Manager is responsible for leading the technical evaluations for all new incoming RFPs and existing program proposed scopes of work, costing and budgeting across the business. They will liaise with Scheduling and Operations Teams to access the most suitable manufacturing, development or analytical services project options. The Manager will represent the business in front of customers, in support of project acquisition, with Sales & Business Development or Project Management. They will also support appropriate customer site visits, planning meeting logistics and customer presentation preparation for new opportunities. The position requires superior leadership behaviors of the Sterling core competencies and non-negotiables, as well as expertise in functional competencies included in this position profile.
- Manages team of Technical Evaluation Specialists supporting the Germantown, WI operations.
- Interfaces in a collaborative way with Commercial Development, Operations, Finance, and Sales/Business Development stakeholders.
- Receives incoming requests for proposals, ensures the technical fit (through consultation with SMEs) and assigns to appropriate bid writers.
- Controls the technical evaluation and quote/proposal generation process, including prioritization of new leads.
- Reviews proposals to ensure accuracy and completeness of information, adherence to templates / structure.
- Prepares cost estimates and writes proposals, if / as necessary.
- Implements improvements to existing practices, procedures and policies.
- Reviews data for accuracy in various IT systems including CRM, SFDC, Microsoft AX etc.
- Reviews status and prioritizes proposals based on business need and consultation with Sales / BD teams
- Develops and manages Key Performance Indicators or other metrics for the Germantown, WI operations.
- Participates in customer visits / teleconferences in support of proposals.
- Reviews proposals as needed and manages daily escalation of issues requiring resolution to ensure information is transmitted to customers on-time and with appropriate level of detail.
- Ensures timely completion and compliance with cGMP and all other relevant company training requirements.
- Attracts, develops, and retains a high performing team to meet the current and evolving needs of the business through effective selection, training and development, coaching and mentoring and performance management.
- An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Knowledge of Contract Manufacturing.
- Knowledge of Fine Chemical, Flavor and Fragrance, or Pharmaceutical industry.
- Knowledge of cGMP preferred.
- Proven ability to be detail oriented.
- Excellent written & oral communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Knowledge of Salesforce or other cloud-based CRM system.
- General working knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- CMO or CDMO experience preferred.
- General working knowledge of Chemistry preferred.
- Directly leads team of approximately 4 – 8 direct reports.
- Participates in the hiring process of other employees.
- Makes hiring decisions of other employees.
- Schedules and reviews the work of other employees.
- Ensures accuracy and relevance of assigned training curriculum.
- Drives timely completion of training for employees to meet regulatory requirements.
- Coaches, mentors and develops other employees.
- Prepares and delivers performance evaluations of other employees.
- Makes recommendation of disciplinary actions of other employees.
- Candidates need to be competent with IT systems, and Microsoft Office including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Chemical Engineering or related field required.
- Master’s Degree in Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Chemical Engineering or other Life Science field preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of direct experience with Pharmaceutical and/or CDMO proposal/quote generation in a contract services environment. Focus on analytical chemistry preferred.
- Experience managing or directly supervising a team preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is required to occasionally stand or walk; reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually very quiet.
Diversity and Inclusion
Sterling values diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, past or present military service, marital status, gender identification or expression, medical condition (including genetic characteristics) or any other protected characteristic as established by law.