Windows System Administrator
- Job Title
- Windows System Administrator
- Job ID
- Work From Home
- Work Remote
- Dulles, VA 20041
- Other Location
Summary: The Windows System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure inside the VA environment running on the Windows Server Operating System. The SA ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to VA & organizational requirements.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues related to the project initiation and planning. These activities include requirements definition, development of technical strategy, technical analysis and design, and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. The System Administrator will also support reliable operation and ongoing maintenance of the deployed servers.
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a business or technical discipline
Required Years of Experience: Five years of experience in a directly related role are required. Five years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- Assess the stability, security, and scalability of installed Windows systems.
- Discuss system and server upgrades with project management.
- Install and upgrade Windows systems and servers.
- Provide technical support for staff and back-end system users.
- Troubleshoot system and server errors.
- Review system error logs and user-reported errors.
- Monitor and update the Windows codebase.
- Manage user access.
- Monitor system performance.
- Maintain server architecture security and create system backups.
- 5 years of Windows System Administrator experience.
- Detailed knowledge of Windows server setup, deployment, and maintenance.
- Experience with virtualization, Hyper-V preferred.
- Familiarity with Windows clustering.
- Ability to create and modify batch and Powershell scripts.
- Experience with databases, patch management, and networks including LAN and WAN.
- Familiarity with modern operating systems and server platforms.
- Knowledge of network security systems and intrusion detection systems.
- Experience with systems backup and data restoration.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Good analytical and communication skills.
- Understanding of RAID levels and configurations.
- Understanding of SAN and multipathing policies.
- Familiarity with Active Directory and group policies.
- Experience with Windows features and roles.
- Has high standards, results oriented, and a commitment to delivering high quality solutions on time.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment.
- Willingness and ability to learn emerging technologies to continually expand skillset.
- Good troubleshooting and problems solving skills with demonstrated persistence in driving solutions through to completion.
- Experience with administration of blade server systems.
- Experience with system security requirements and configuration.
- Experience with cloud services such as Amazon Web Services or Azure.
- Familiarity or experience with Docker or other container technologies.
- Familiarity with blade chassis deployment, configuration and administration is preferred.
- Experience troubleshooting network issues at the operating system level.
- Experience with SFTP server and client configurations.
- Current or prior Veterans Affairs access and badge.