Customer Support Manager
- Job Title
- Customer Support Manager
- Job ID
- Northampton, MA 01060
- Other Location
Are you interested in working for a company that is opening up children’s worlds by creating better educational literacy resources? We are seeking a dynamic leader with proven experience managing a growing customer support team. This position will begin remote but is expected to transition to an on-site or hybrid role in the coming months.
Pioneer Valley Books is a leading publisher of award-winning literacy resources. We are committed to providing quality books and digital tools for children learning to read and resources that support teachers in their work. Our customers passionately love our products, and our company is rapidly growing.
As a key member of the Sales and Marketing team, the Customer Support Manager directs and oversees PVB’s customer experience by effectively managing the sales and customer service/customer support teams. Responsibilities include establishing and monitoring customer service/support processes and procedures; recommending product or service enhancements based on customer feedback to improve customer satisfaction and sales potential; creating a unified Customer Service/Sales team through effective communication, team building, motivation, and recognition; and leading customer service improvement projects through effective project management.
This position reports to the Sr. VP and provides regular reports and updates on customer relations and sales effectiveness. This is a hands-on management role, with equal parts managing staff, strategizing customer service initiatives, and implementing strategies.
- Manages day-to-day operations for the CSR and Sales teams, including scheduling shifts for effective phone and online chat coverage, training staff, performing annual reviews, and providing daily direct motivation and supervision
- Coordinates and targets activities of CSR/Sales teams to establish, develop, and maintain positive business and customer relationships; works directly with customers to strengthen business relationships
- Monitors and evaluates incoming orders; coordinates efficient processing of orders by team, and provides timely updates and feedback to coworkers and Sr. VP regarding operational effectiveness
- Implements marketing strategies, new sales initiatives, and detailed sales action plans and strategies; prepares regular reporting as needed regarding progress toward sales goals and emerging/existing barriers to achieving objectives
- Works closely with support teams and other departments to improve cross-team collaboration and incentivize productivity and efficiency; in particular, works closely with Warehouse and Purchasing regarding new product releases, timely inventory levels, product availability, and sales fulfillment
- Maintains data regarding sales volume, product mix, and selling price by keeping current with supply and demand, changing trends, economic indicators, and competitors
- Assesses efficiencies of all CSR/Sales processes, and makes recommendations to senior management for process improvements as needed; takes a lead role in implementing such changes
- Provides direct support to the Sr. VP, especially as regards “high-impact” customers; also provides consistent backup, including sitting in on virtual meetings, traveling to presentations, and covering high-impact sales calls in office when Sr. VP is traveling
- Collaborates closely with Sr. VP to identify staff training and hiring needs, hire replacements and additional CSR staff, and monitor and implement training of new and existing staff
- Provide support as needed for Educational Events team, including possible attendance at trade shows/conferences (requiring travel approximately 2 to 4 times/year)
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least 5 years of customer service or sales staff management experience, preferably in a related field selling education products, classroom/teacher resources, ed technology, children’s educational toys, etc.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required
- Highly motivated and target driven
- Ability to problem-solve, evaluate customer needs, and provide cost-benefit evaluations
- Ability to create and deliver presentations tailored to audience needs
- Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; experience with a CRM system is highly desirable
- Engaging phone personality, including ability to maintain calm in the face of criticism
- Excellent selling, communication, and negotiation skills
- Works well within a team environment and independently
- Ability to juggle multiple projects easily and determine shifting priorities
- Ability to work well under pressure
Pioneer Valley Books is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. M/F/D/V/SO