Special Events Assistant
- Job Title
- Special Events Assistant
- Job ID
- Chicago, IL 60619
- Other Location
Position Title: Special Events Assistant
Reports To: Director of Operations
Schedule: Wednesdays-Friday, 2pm-6pm & Saturdays, 9am-5pm
Pay Rate: $24/hr
The Special Events Assistant is responsible for the successful implementation and coordinating of organizational, either external or internal, held on the GCYC Campus. As a part of the GCYC Team, the Special Events Assistant ensures that all events on the campus are beneficial and engaging for our youth and their families. Additionally, this role calls for a professional, prepared to manage space reservations and support the logistics along with the operations of events for our stakeholders. These stakeholders can include groups such as funders, partnering organizations, and/or municipal agencies requesting to use the Youth Center space. In all cases, the Event Assistant works with the Operations Director to ensure the successful execution of all aspects of these events.
About the Comer Education Campus
The Comer Education Campus has been recognized as one of the most unique youth-serving organizations in the nation. Our mission is to help young people prepare to be well rounded global citizens who are ready for college and careers. We primarily serve youth in middle and high schools, while providing employment opportunities and counseling supports to our alumni.
Located in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood on Chicago’s South Side, the campus is anchored by the state-of-the-art Gary Comer Youth Center, Gary Comer College Prep High School and Middle School. Programming is offered in three primary categories: academics, enrichment and college and career preparation. Together we serve nearly 2,000 young people annually. For more information, please visit: http://comereducationcampus.org/Essential Functions
- Design and execute details for GCYC Organization-wide events such as large-scale celebrations, cookouts, field days, conferences, external space reservations, and programmatic-events
- Ensure the success of special events at the departmental level by providing logistics and operations support for corresponding department managers
- Coordinate and monitor event timelines and ensure deadlines are met
- Work with Director of Operations to manage the logistics for staff trainings, organizational meetings, and onsite program-related special events
- Promoting organizational events including the maintenance of the event calendar and assist with the external promotion of department/program level events
- Arrange food and beverage layout, room layouts, order supplies, and audio-visual equipment, order event signs, and ensure appropriate décor met the quality expectations of the youth center
- Supports the mission of GCYC
- Works collaboratively in a team setting serving the needs of youth
- Is committed to the safety and development of all GCYC Members
- Takes on additional duties as needed
- Served as a role model for youth and community
- Abides by the employee handbook and established GCYC policies and procedures
- Completes special projects as assigned by the Director or Operations and/or Chief Impact Officer
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects independently
- Ability to successfully lead team members or work groups with planning and implementation of events and special activities
- Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as ability to present information effectively in one-on-one, small groups, and large group situations.
- Must demonstrate cultural competency, dedication to working with youth, families and community members in our care.
- At least two-years of professional experience with event coordinating preferred
- Proficient with the latest versions of Microsoft office, and high comfort level with using software and social media outlets for event/program promotion
Environmental and Working Conditions
- Youth-centered environment requiring flexibility and adaptability
- High energy, fast paced interactions with the public regularly
- Flexible work schedule to accommodate the times and days of scheduled events resulting in working Saturdays and evenings.
- Physical requirements related to office work
- Ability to do light lifting
- Ability to walk and stand during the course of an event and/or activity