National Grid Renewables, which includes the renewables development company formerly known as Geronimo Energy, is a leading North American renewable energy company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with satellite offices located in the regions where it develops, constructs, and operates renewable energy projects. As a farmer-friendly and community focused company, National Grid Renewables develops projects for corporations and utilities that seek to repower America’s electricity grid by reigniting local economies and reinvesting in a sustainable future. National Grid Renewables is part of the competitive, unregulated Ventures division of National Grid and has a portfolio of solar, wind, and energy storage projects located throughout the United States in various stages of development, construction and operation.
National Grid Renewables develops high value, competitive renewable energy projects. Our focus on communities and farmers means it’s not just about projects, but about the people we work with, both outside and inside our organization. National Grid Renewables Team Members embody our foundational culture of being entrepreneurial, creative, and nimble and take pride in supporting National Grid’s vision to be at the heart of a clean, fair and affordable energy future for all.
Sr Manager, Development
- Job Title
- Sr Manager, Development
- Job ID
- Bloomington, MN 55437
- Other Location
The Senior Development Manager’s mission is to ensure that National Grid Renewables is originating and developing wind opportunities consistent with National Grid Renewables’ return expectations and corporate direction. The role will be critical in directing the company towards the right markets, project types and offtake targets. This role will be responsible for leading National Grid Renewables’ wind development portfolio and further expansion into the MISO, SPP, and Western PJM markets.
- Lead the company in targeting and evaluating markets to identify wind greenfield developments, M&A, and partnership opportunities in the MISO, SPP, and PJM markets.
- Provide recommendations to leadership on markets opportunities and priorities
- Work with the commercial and finance teams to prepare financial models, evaluate new technologies, and prepare compelling solutions for customers.
- Represent National Grid Renewables with federal, state and local officials, regulators, utilities, RTOs, and other stakeholders throughout the project development process.
- Oversee and manage an internal team of senior developers, developers, associates and site acquisition specialists to implement National Grid Renewables greenfield development process.
- Manage external relationships with consultants, contractors, and land agents.
- Coordinate with the Interconnection department to site strategic Points of Interconnection, manage the interconnection process and obtain Generator Interconnect Agreements (GIAs).
- Work with the Permitting department to manage state, federal, and local permitting efforts and approval processes for utility-scale electric generation projects.
- Interface with the engineering and construction teams to ensure that projects are deliverable, considerate of site characteristics, and on-budget.
- Interpret technical engineering and environmental reports and studies to determine project impact and pertinence towards application requirements.
- Provide reports to management including updates on project status and changes to regulations.
- Develop engineering estimates, scopes, and project schedules.
- Interface with the engineering and construction teams to ensure that the project remains within budget and on schedule.
- Manage annual development budget up to $5M for targeted project capital investment of over $600M.
- Support development of 4-8 early/mid stage projects and 3 late-stage projects
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, or related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- 7-10 years of project development experience in renewable energy with at least 5 years being wind development.
- Willingness to work with and manage relationships with landowners and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge of energy markets.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on large scale utility energy development projects.
- Experience with contract management and negotiation.
- Exposure to project financing.
- Ability to work remotely and build National Grid Renewables presence in MISO, SPP, and PJM.
- Creative thinker
- Loyal and committed to the organization