Diabetes Educator RN Registered Nurse - Full Time Day Shift
- Job Title
- Diabetes Educator RN Registered Nurse - Full Time Day Shift
- Job ID
- Valdosta, GA
- Other Location
We’re hiring for a Diabetes Educator Registered Nurse (RN) in our Diabetes Management Center in Valdosta, Georgia. This RN job will be a full time day shift position
8AM-5PM M-Th / 8AM-12PM F
Diabetes Management Center (DMC) is a multi-disciplinary program that provides evaluation, treatment and education of diabetes and diabetes related conditions including Type 1 Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes and Gestational Diabetes.
This registered nurse will collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to improve patient outcomes, provide diabetes management evaluation, treatment and education on a non-emergency, outpatient setting. Also, the registered nurse will serve as a role model by actively participating in the process of continuous professional development, teaching and learning across the healthcare continuum.
The team at DMC consists of affiliated endocrinologist Dr. Jennifer Lawrence, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, certified diabetes nurse educators, and a registered dietitian.
About the Diabetes Management Center
The Diabetes Self-Management Education Program provides education to children, adults and seniors with diabetes living in South Georgia and North Florida. The goal of the program is to provide individuals with diabetes the knowledge and skills they need to manage the disease and live healthier lives. It is a valuable resource for patients with diabetes and for area physicians as well.
They do one-on-one sessions and group classes with education on:
- continuous glucose monitoring
- training to use an insulin pump
- nutritional counseling
- coping and problem solving
- healthy goal setting
South Georgia Medical Center’s Diabetes Management Center has been recognized by the American Diabetes Association for Quality Self-Management Education*. This is the only hospital-based ADA recognized self-management education program in our area. The DMC has been continuously recognized by the ADA for quality diabetes care for over 23 years.
About South Georgia Medical Center
South Georgia Medical Center is a not-for-profit medical system dedicated to be the leader in improving the health, wellness and quality of life in the community. With 418 licensed beds and more than 300 affiliated physicians and 2,600 employees, SGMC, its campuses, and affiliates provide a broad range of high quality healthcare services. SGMC is in Valdosta, Georgia and serves 380,000 residents across a 15-county service area.
SGMC was established to care for the sick and injured, regardless of sex, race, creed, color, nationality, handicap or disability. As a self-supporting medical system, SGMC proudly provides care for the sick and injured with no local tax support. Because SGMC is publicly owned and operated, any earnings are reinvested back into the system's facilities and services. This also allows SGMC to fund valuable outreach and education programs that benefit local students, seniors, the uninsured and many others.
SGMC is fully accredited by The Joint Commission, the highest mark of quality in the healthcare field, and has earned additional recognition at the state and national level.
SGMC is a member of:
- The American Hospital Association
- The Georgia Hospital Association
- The Southwest Georgia Hospital District
- Vizient MidSouth
- Georgia Alliance of Community Hospitals
- Establishes/maintains policies, standards of care/practice related to Diabetes.
- Provides instruction to staff related to policies, standards and practices.
- Provides direct patient care to individual patients, case management, and assists staff nurses related to Diabetes management.
- Assists Program Coordinator with development of comprehensive diabetes education programs.
- Coordinates referrals for continuing education to outpatient diabetes program
- Instruct one class per month on Tuesday evenings
- Current RN license in State of Georgia.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing or related field required.
- Certification in Diabetes required within three years.
- Two years nursing experience required.
- Previous experience as an acute care nurse required.
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop others individually and as a team.
- Excellent verbal, written and behavioral communication skills.
- Ability to direct the development and implementation of policies, procedures, etc.
- Strong ability to read, interpret and analyze regulations, standards and clinical issues.
- Utilize variety of office, educational, clinical and non-clinical equipment.
- Proficient Office computer software skills.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and adapt to new situations, think critically, manage priorities and utilize problem-solving techniques.
- Ability to read and interpret policies, standards, and think critically evaluating patient care issues.
- Strong clinical nursing skills in assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation.
- Ability to communicate clearly with, and care for diverse population of patients/family units of all ages, a variety of cultures, and/or persons occasionally exhibiting stressed behaviors.
- Ability to operate clinical equipment, computer, telecommunication devices and patient information systems.
Full-Time/ Days 8AM-5PM M-TH , Fri 8AM-12PM
If you want to work on a highly-regarded team while increasing your skills working with the latest and most advanced technology, apply today! For any questions or help with the application process, please contact our RN recruiter Cass Wenner at (229) 255-2633 or Cass.Wenner@sgmc.org
- Required Skills
• Current RN license in State of Georgia.
• Bachelor's degree in nursing or related field required.
• Certification in Diabetes required within three years.
• Two years nursing experience required.
• Previous experience as an acute care nurse required.
• Ability to lead, motivate and develop others individually and as a team.
• Excellent verbal, written and behavioral communication skills.
• Ability to direct the development and implementation of policies, procedures, etc.
• Strong ability to read, interpret and analyze regulations, standards and clinical issues.
• Utilize variety of office, educational, clinical and non-clinical equipment.
• proficient Office computer software skills.