Senior MPSE - FT Temporary assignment
- Job Title
- Senior MPSE - FT Temporary assignment
- Job ID
- San Diego, CA 92135
- Other Location
- Naval Air Station (NAS) North Island
Please note:This is a Full-time Temporary position with an anticipated end date on or about October 2020.
The Senior Mission Planning Support Engineer will support the United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) Mission Planning & Execution Program (SOMPE) by providing technical and analytical mission planning & execution system support for the Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron EIGHT FIVE (HSC-85)/Naval Aviation Tactical Support Unit (TSU).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The essential job functions for this position include:
- Provide on-site systems administration to support the operation, maintenance, and installation of SOMPE software suite.
- Provide on-site software maintenance in the form of inspections and test of all network and user software prior to installation.
- Maintaining installed systems/devices with the most current approved configuration; this includes upgrade installations, revision installations, replacements, and information assurance upgrades.
- Duplicate and image media of all required planning & execution software/tools for use in the Mission Planning Environment (MPE) to include producing customized media for users.
- Maintain On-Call “Help Desk-style” support for users.
- Create, maintain and test component mission planning environment software loads, as required.
- Maintain Geospatial Information System (GIS) servers with the most current National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) and other digital map data to include generating digital map products for use in mission planning & execution applications.
- Produce customized map and imagery loads for users; this includes creating special-load map and imagery on portable storage media servers and maintain those servers with current Digital Terrain Elevation Data (DTED).
- Provide a full range of on-site network administration for the various mission planning networks; which includes supporting both secure (SIPRNET) and non-secure (NIPRNET) mission planning local area network (LAN) systems.
- Define and provide user training for new hardware and software to include providing training and assistance in loading Digital Data Devices.
- Monitor Operational Test and Evaluation (OT&E) for certification of MPE prior to release.
- Perform research and testing of new equipment for users.
- Maintain a component/unit mission planning & execution website, portal or equivalent information sharing medium for dissemination of updates and pertinent information.
- Identify, investigate, and integrate mission planning & execution applications.
Required skills and abilities to effectively perform this position include, but are not limited to:
- Embraces challenges with a forward-thinking and proactive mentality. Grasps that a desire to learn breeds expertise and grows capability. Exhibits both personal drive and integrity. Recognizes our team relies on it. Identifies that we are in this together. Collaborates within and keeps the warfighter at the forefront. Realizes excellence is a moving target. Perfects our processes and improves upon them every day. Understands how their work impacts the big picture. Knows that what we do, matters.
- Commits to doing the best job possible. Follows instructions, responds to management direction. Keeps commitments. Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines. Responds to requests for service and assistance. Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge. Displays understanding of how job relates to others. Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills. Keeps abreast of current developments. Requires minimal supervision. Uses resources effectively.
- Develops alternative solutions. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Identifies problems in a timely manner. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Acknowledges team accomplishments. Defines team roles and responsibilities. Ensures progress toward goals. Fosters team cooperation. Supports group problem solving.
- Adapts to new technologies. Demonstrates required skills. Keeps technical skills up to date. Troubleshoots technological problems. Uses technology to increase productivity.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or other related discipline; or equivalent military training.
- Minimum of five (5) years mission planning experience in a Special Operations environment with automated mission planning & execution tools in operational environments.
- An understanding of Windows operating systems and/or Android mobile operating systems.
- Must be self-motivating, focused, and confident with the ability to listen, learn, and teach.
- Possess knowledge of networking hardware and software; SIPRNET and NIPRNET; communications (classified/unclassified networks and device procedures).
- Understand relational database structures.
- Knowledgeable of mission planning set-up and tear down procedures and mission planning & execution environment software loading.
- Knowledge of mission planning & execution software capabilities and its applicability to the unit’s mission.
- Knowledge of applying security policy, procedures, and protective measures.
- Detailed knowledge of SOF aviation support operations and tactics.
- A minimum of five (5) years, within the last eight (8) years, operational experience with/or supporting a SOF aviation unit (i.e. Naval TSU, SMU, etc.).
- Minimum of five (5) years operational experience with/or supporting mission planning techniques including preparation and check out
- of flight plans for aircraft weapons systems.
- Familiarity with the assigned component’s tactical Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and mission guides.
- Will possess an in-depth knowledge of the SOF Aviation organizational structures, intelligence structures, functions and procedures, as well as command relationships and responsibilities.
- Will possess operational experience with navigation and/or mission planning techniques including preparation and validation of planning products and outputs.
- Familiar with the wide range of SOF aviation customer weapon systems identified and possess in-depth, first-hand mission planning skills and knowledge related to the SOF aviation deployment environments.
- Working knowledge in the following areas/programs:
- Portable Flight Planning Software (PFPS) and SOF Aviation Customer platform (aircraft, etc.) interface software (i.e. aircraft/weapons/electronics (A/W/E) interface)
- Aviation Customer Take or Landing (TOLD) or Performance Planning Card (PPC) application
- Android Tactical Assault Kit (ATAK)
- Windows Tactical Assault Kit (WINTAK)
- Execution Planner (XPlan)
- Joint Mission Planning System (JMPS)
- Tactical Local Area Network (TACLAN)
- Android Operating System (OS)
Preferred Education and Experience
Knowledge of Aero Application, Virtual Computing, Android Software Development Kit (SDK), and Virtual Basic
Required Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations
CompTIA Security+ certification within six months of hire/start date.
This position has no authority or responsibility for the supervision of others.
Work Environment, Programs, and Tools
This position operates in a closed working environment and requires the individual to sit, talk, listen, use close eye acuity and hands/fingers to grasp or type. This position will also occasionally require walking, standing, lifting, crouching or kneeling.
Required knowledge of the following tools, equipment, and programs includes: Screwdrivers, wire crimper, and various computer hardware device tools (i.e. voltage meter, continuity testers), laptops. servers, hard drive cloners/duplicators, tablets and mobile devices, Microsoft Windows 7/10, Microsoft Office Suite, Android OS, Portable Flight Planning Software (PFPS) and Execution Planner.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This position will be on site at Naval Air Station (NAS) North Island, CA and will require adherence to the Government site hours of operation. This position is a full-time position, expected to work 40 hours a week. This position may require evening/weekend work and work outside of the Government site hours of operations when needed to support Program needs.
Must be willing and able to travel/deploy CONUS and OCONUS, if requested for short periods of time as necessary to provide mission planning system/devices and training support on exercises or real-world missions; which may include potentially hazardous areas. Travel is expected about 10% a year.
Top Secret Clearance is required.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of activities, duties, responsibilities, and standards required of this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.