Interested in joining our team?
Learn more about our available positions below.
- Job Title
- Medical Assistant
- Job ID
- Denver, CO
- Other Location
The Medical Assistant performs clinical support services, assists with clerical duties, obtains and organizes medical records and maintains patient care documentation in EMR. This position is responsible for providing professional care specifically to Radiation Oncology patients in an outpatient setting Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am thru 4:30pm daily.
- Request, obtain and organize necessary and appropriate clinical documents for the patient’s chart.
- Creates initial Consult Note for physician using template, containing diagnosis, staging, diagnostic studies, pathology, medical history, medications, allergies, etc.
- Prepares consent forms and obtains signatures.
- Creates Follow Up and End of Treatment notes using templates.
- Rooms patients and assists during consult and follow up patient visits to include vitals, health history, acting as chaperone.
- Organizing weekly physician visits for patients undergoing daily radiation treatments.
- Take and properly record vital signs; height, weight, temp, BP, pulse
- Schedule external labs, diagnostic studies and other follow-up for patients as requested by physician.
- Update medical records.
- Initiate / receive / triage / transfer / follow up on patient and other phone calls.
- Schedule follow up appointments for patients completing course of radiation therapy.
- Maintain internal document tracking progress of patients from scheduled consult through end of treatment.
- Maintains concise and accurate journaling of activities in EMR.
- Ensure timely, thorough and proper communication of patient progress through pre-treatment steps.
- Perform blood draws / organize and stock blood draw area / coordinate pick-ups with Lab Corp and/or Quest.Receive reports, obtain MD approval, record and place in EMR
- Enter daily charges for consults and follow ups using appropriate ICD-10, CPT and Z-codes.
- Fill outFMLA / Disability / Handicap Parking / Return to Work and other paperwork, routing appropriately.
- Create letters such as jury excuse, work excuse, airline flight changerequests to physician to sign.
- Ensure that all processing and reporting deadlines are consistently achieved.
- Facilitate and encourage patient interaction and advocacy.
- Organize and clean examination rooms.
- Clean / Sterilize / prepare medical instruments.
- Disposal of contaminated supplies.
- Track inventory and order clinical supplies as needed.
- Assist with reception desk coverage, and other clerical duties as needed and assigned.
- Maintain records and schedule supplies/activities to maintain compliance with BLS, TB, flu vaccinations, etc.
- Maintain records of and scheduling of fire extinguisher inspection and maintenance.
- Maintain records of inspection and maintenance of AED and emergency equipment.
- Perform any other functions as required by management.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (including overtime, and weekends) as necessary.
- High School graduate or equivalent required.
- Certified or eligible for certification as a Medical Assistant in the state of Colorado.
- Current CPR certification.
- Basic PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Minimum of three years’ experience.
- Radiation / Medical Oncology experience
- Prior EMR experience
- Ability to understand and organize varied medical records/reports
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication proficiency.
Excellent judgment, dependability, conscientious performance. Detail oriented. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Caring and empathetic. High ethical standards. Mechanical ability and manual dexterity for operating complicated equipments.