Working at BFL is a rewarding experience.
View our employment opportunities below.
Resident Aide Driver
- Job Title
- Resident Aide Driver
- Job ID
- New York, NY 10029
- Other Location
Barrier Free Living (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. Through its various programs, BFL provides a broad range of residential and non-residential services to disabled survivors of domestic violence, transitional shelter to the disabled homeless, and outreach to physically disabled individuals with mental health and/or chemical addiction issues. Services include case management; housing placements; independent living skills training; occupational therapy; short- and long-term individual counseling; advocacy within the medical, mental health, child welfare, law enforcement, and criminal justice systems; and referrals to outside services.
Barrier Free Living is seeking applications for Resident Aide/Driver position. This is a full time, non-exempt with benefit eligibility. This position reports to the Resident Aide Manager, driver’s responsibility is to maintain a positive attitude that promotes team work and a favorable image of the company.
- Drive residents to and from the hospitals, appointments, and to their new locations and taking staff to and from meetings and other business related areas
- Lifting Items/ picking up/dropping off donations, moving resident belongings, loading/unloading the van.
- Must be able to manage and/or lift up to 50lbs to 70lbs.
- Develop and maintain an efficient routing system.
- Develop and maintain and organized and efficient loading and unloading system
- Maintain courteous and professional
- Uphold company policies, perform other duties as assigned by management
- Must be highly motivated/energetic and able to multitask
- Must have clean license record
- Shoveling snow to clear a path for van
- Check lights and safety equipment
- Obey all traffic laws, including: driving within posted speed limits, stopping and looking for traffic at all stop signs
- Drive defensively
- Report any needed repairs or to your supervisor, including gas
- Maintain a clean vehicle such as tickets, registrations, taking van to be serviced etc.
- Allow no riders in the vehicle that have not been approved by your supervisor
- Complete drivers log after returning to the facility
- Avoid parking in non-legal areas.
Resident Aide Responsibility
- Provide coverage at the Reception Desk in monitoring entry and exit of staff, residents and visitors; answering and directing, as appropriate, telephone calls; and completing other administrative duties as requested by supervisors such as the Freedom House resident agreement and HRA paperwork.
- Assist in monitoring compliance with fire and other safety regulations related to the facility.
- Assist in addressing and following up on any incidents related to security or safety within the facility, crisis management help as needed.
- Ensure timely and appropriate completion of all log and incident documentation required by supervisors.
- Assist with resident programming as needed.
- Complete light housekeeping tasks which include shoveling snow when directed.
- Minimum of six months prior experience working in a residential setting.
- Minimum of high school diploma (or GED).
- Strong oral communication skills and fundamental writing competency required.
- Ability to think and act calmly in emergency situations required.
- Experience working with people with disabilities highly desirable.
- Spanish or other language skills and/or American Sign Language preferred
Start Date: ASAP
Hourly Rate: $16.09
Hours: 35 hours per week - M- F 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan, Paid vacation, Sick days, Personal days, Paid National Holidays and more.
Public Assistant Recipient is encouraged to apply.