Working at BFL is a rewarding experience.
View our employment opportunities below.
Resident Aide - Freedom House
- Job Title
- Resident Aide - Freedom House
- Job ID
- New York, NY 10029
- Other Location
Barrier Free Living (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. Through its various programs, BFL provides a broad range of residential and non-residential services to disabled survivors of domestic violence, transitional shelter to the disabled homeless, and outreach to physically disabled individuals with mental health and/or chemical addiction issues. Services include case management; housing placements; independent living skills training; occupational therapy; short- and long-term individual counseling; advocacy within the medical, mental health, child welfare, law enforcement, and criminal justice systems; and referrals to outside services.
The Resident Aide reports to the Shift Supervisor and is responsible for assisting in the maintenance of a secure and safe work environment for staff, residents and visitors.
- Provide coverage at the Reception Desk in monitoring entry and exit of staff, residents and visitors; answering and directing, as appropriate, telephone calls; and completing other administrative duties as requested by supervisors.
- Assist in monitoring compliance with fire and other safety regulations related to the facility.
- Maintaining courteous, professional, respectful interactions with al residents, staff and guests.
- Must demonstrate the knowledge of appropriate boundaries with all residents and staff as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Assist in addressing and following up on any incidents related to security or safety within the facility, providing emergency response and crisis management help as needed.
- Ensure timely and appropriate completion of all log and incident documentation required by supervisors in recording security and safety issues/incidents.
- Complete light housekeeping tasks, at the request and direction of the Shift Supervisor. These tasks may include, but are not limited to, sweeping, mopping, trash removal, snow removal or cleaning when housekeeping staff is unavailable and where a safety concern is determined by the Shift Supervisor.
- Minimum of six months prior experience working in a residential setting preferred
- Minimum of high school diploma (or GED).
- Strong oral communication skills and fundamental writing competency required
- Ability to think and act calmly in emergency situations required
- Experience working with people with disabilities highly desirable
- Computer literate
- Required to take the Fire Guard Exam
- Spanish or other non-English language skills and/or American Sign Language skills a plus.
Start Date: ASAP
Hour Rate: $15.30
Full Time: 1 open shift position for Tuesday-Saturday 8:30 am-4:30 pm
Hours per week: 35 hour
Full-Time Benefit Package: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan, Paid vacation, Sick days, Personal days, Paid National Holidays, and more.
Part-Time: 1 open shift position on Friday, Saturday, Holidays 4 pm-12 am
1 open shift position on Sunday, Monday, Holidays 12 am-8 am
Hours per week: 14 - 21
Part-Time Benefits Package: Retirement Benefit, Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, Paid Sick days, Paid Personal days
Public Assistant Recipient are encouraged to apply.