Bad Debt/Self Pay Supervisor
- Job Title
- Bad Debt/Self Pay Supervisor
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
Reporting to this position are the Data Technician and Customer Service Representatives.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Interacts with internal staff, finance and accounting departments.
Interacts externally with all who submit and receive media or do business with the Facility, government agencies, attorneys, patients and/or family members and contractors/vendors.
- Supervises and maintains accurate records for payment operations.
- Supervises electronic funds transfers, electronic remittances, electronic payment postings, and electronic credit card payments.
- Oversees the maintenance and balancing of cash reports on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Acts as liaison with banking institutions and other agencies as needed.
- Responds to inquiries from management, staff, outside departments and patients.
- Monitors violations of bad debt and self- pay policies, provide analysis, conclusion and recommendations to present findings to management and suggest actions to be taken when appropriate.
- Oversees negotiation payment programs with delinquent customers as well as monitor charity care and financial assistance programs.
- Develops processes and procedures for evaluating customer financials and setting standards for quality customer service performance to attorney and patient requests.
- Maintains bad debt and bad debt recovery records.
- Monitors receivables and collections, provide updates of receivables as well as provide appropriate reporting procedures.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The
- above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Considerable knowledge of hospital credit and collection policies and procedures, as well as processing of claims for third party and self-pay accounts is required.
- Ability to initiate an exchange of information for the purpose of obtaining information and clarification of details.
- Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division individually and in conjunction with each other.
- Knowledge of financial statements, cash flow analysis and financial reporting.
- High proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office programs including but not limited to: Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access. Knowledge of Invision and Reporting mechanisms.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in writing, oral and/or diagrammatic form, aptitude for deductive reasoning leading to predictable outcomes.
- Ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving a variety of pre-defined duties which are often characterized by frequent change.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Must have negotiation and problem solving skills.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Acts in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two (2) or more years in patient accounting /cash posting functions, bad debt functions and customer service functions.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in the healthcare Industry.
- Two (2) or more years of supervisory experience.
- Two (2) or more years of customer service experience.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, bend, reach, handle, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time.
- Required Skills
Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Two (2) or more years in patient accounting /cash posting functions, bad debt functions and customer service functions.
Three (3) or more years of experience in the healthcare Industry.
Two (2) or more years of supervisory experience.
Two (2) or more years of customer service experience.