Option 2: Create a New Profile
Sr. Software Engineer, Back End
- Job Title
- Sr. Software Engineer, Back End
- Position ID
- Berlin, BE
- Other Location
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our team. You will help us use modern web technologies, and best practices to constantly keep pushing our platforms further. This platform consists of multiple services, ranging from a customer facing ecommerce marketplace, large data crunching components to provide the necessary foundation, a middleware to handle the connection of our various applications with each other, as well as standalone digital tools.
We are striving for a scalable, well-functioning and highly performant platform that will help us achieve our business goals. To achieve this we are always looking for engineers that strike the pragmatic balance between quality, speed of iteration, and simplicity:
We want our engineers to understand that good enough in one case may mean full test coverage, whereas when prototyping, it may not require tests. Our applications are challenging for various different reasons: Some require the ability to identify and model complex business processes to help transform those processes into the digital age; others require handling large datasets (more than 4 billion records).
As a successful candidate, you will identify needs and new opportunities and aspire to increase the quality of our engineering work. You are able to understand all necessary tools and activities to grow the B2B platform from start-up, to an international, highly scalable large-scale, distributed operation. Additionally, you understand that our agile approach demands flexible, yet stable, and highly testable code.
- Perform development using PHP language in various frameworks such as Spryker or Symfony on the backend, Vue.js on some of the frontend (where needed).Ensure that the APIs that we use internally as well as expose externally are highly performant.
- Offer solutions for various technical challenges related to the development of the e-commerce platform
- Work together with the product management team to conceptualize future features of our products and applications.
- Participate in architectural discussions and be a major contributor to the overall architecture of the platform.
- Proven work experience as a Software Engineer
- Experience with ecommerce (especially B2B) a plus
- Experience with modern web development using languages such as PHP, Python, Golang, server-side JS (i.e. node.js). PHP development in combination with modern PHP frameworks (such as Symfony 2, Zend framework 2, or Laravel) highly desired
- Experience implementing APIs according to a specification (as well as writing and understanding API documentation, for example using OpenAPI), understanding of RESTful APIs, and HATEOAS highly desireable.
- Experience with ERP systems (such as SAP, Oracle, etc.), as well as communication mechanisms between such systems (such as EDI) a big plus
- Fundamental believe in following best practices.
- Working knowledge of current frontend technologies and build tools, as well as CI/CD tools, containerization (Docker), orchestration (Kuberenetes), the AWS ecosystem, modern application monitoring (New Relic, Datadog, Prometheus) a big plus
- Appreciation for automated testing tools (unit, integration, and end to end) such as PHPUnit and Behat, as well as code quality measuring tools.
- Constant drive to improve your own skills through practice and code reviews.
- Urge to keep up with new technologies and relevant topics in the industry through for example conference or meetup participation
- Be familiar with all necessary tools to either ramp-up and implement it yourself or have the necessary skills to oversee external on-demand experts
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
Joel Test 10/12
1. Do you use source control? Yes
2. Can you make a build in one step? Yes
3. Do you make daily builds? Yes
4. Do you have a bug database? Yes
5. Do you fix bugs before writing new code? Yes
6. Do you have an up-to-date schedule? Yes
7. Do you have a spec? No
8. Do programmers have quiet working conditions? Yes
9. Do you use the best tools money can buy? Yes
10. Do you have testers? Yes
11. Do new candidates write code during their interview? Yes
12. Do you do hallway usability testing? No
- Copyright © 2020 Sourceability. All rights reserved.