Working at BFL is a rewarding experience.
View our employment opportunities below.
Case Manager - SG
- Job Title
- Case Manager - SG
- Job ID
- New York, NY 10029
- Other Location
Barrier Free Living (BFL) is dedicated to helping New Yorkers with disabilities live independently in the community. One of its longest-standing programs is the community-based domestic violence program, otherwise known as Secret Garden, which provides case management, safety planning, occupational therapy, short and long-term individual trauma-informed counseling, advocacy within the medical, mental health, child welfare, law enforcement, and criminal justice systems, and referrals to outside services. These services are provided at Secret Garden’s main office, as well as at Family Justice Centers located in the five boroughs. BFL is seeking qualified applicant. This position will report to the Program Director.
- BA or equivalent degree preferred
- Counseling and case management experience in the field of domestic violence and persons living with disabilities preferred
- Spanish fluency preferred
- Strong knowledge in navigating organizations, systems, and community-based resources in New York City
- Ability to work in team, collaborative, multidisciplinary and crisis management environments
- Awareness of anti-bias and trauma-informed care preferred
- Computer skills required
- Strong abilities to advocate on behalf of survivors
- Effective written communication and interpersonal skills
- Coordinate concrete case management services including helping secure apartments, shelter space and SRO’s to survivors of domestic violence who are living with a physical, psychiatric, cognitive, sensory and/or neurodevelopmental disability
- Provide advocacy and referral services related to the procurement and maintenance of affordable housing
- Assist clients with securing housing and financial stability, through education, advocacy, and referrals
- Liaison with real estate agencies, landlords, social services agencies, police precincts and the court systems throughout the five boroughs
- Liaison with social services agencies, police precincts and the court systems throughout the five boroughs
- Conduct telephone screenings of calls from the domestic violence hotline
- Provide crisis intervention and other services required to assist survivors
- Complete individualized service plans for survivors related to ongoing recovery, benefits and housing assistance needs, safety planning, and other emerging issues; also ensuring appropriate follow-up activities related to service plan goals and benchmarks
- Participate in staff/program meetings and trainings, partner program meetings, and conferences
- Ensure timely and accurate entry of case notes and other related program statistics, as requested, including document and complete the necessary forms at Secret Garden
- Conduct outreach and educational presentations to other service providers, policymakers and the general public
- Provide front desk and hotline coverage as required
Location of position: 1 day at Queens FJC, other days on-site at SG
Start Date: ASAP
Hour Rate: $25.07
Status: Full Time/Non Exempt
Hours per week: 35:00 – Monday through Friday
* Benefits Package: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Retirement Plan, Paid vacation, Sick days, Personal days, Paid National Holidays, and more.
Public Assistant Recipient is encouraged to apply.
BFL provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants, with employment based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, creed, genetic disposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic as established by law.