Client Support Specialist
- Job Title
- Client Support Specialist
- Job ID
- Appleton, WI 54914
- Other Location
Under the supervision of Client Support Supervisor, provides exceptional customer service by serving as the frontline ambassador of service between the client and the clinic. The Client Support Specialist (CSS) will greet, direct, and assist clients, family members, and visitors. The CSS ensures a positive client experience from the time a client accesses Catalpa Health.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals with a covered disability to perform the essential functions of the position, as long as an undue hardship is not imposed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
(Other duties may be assigned)
General Client Support Responsibilities:
- Immediately welcome clients and their family members on the phone and in person with a warm greeting. Use the client’s name throughout the encounter, make eye contact and close every encounter warmly.
- Use professional and courteous language and maintain a positive tone in every encounter with both external and internal customers. Actively listen to clients to best meet their needs, while showing empathy.
- Keep clients informed of any delays in the process.
- Take responsibility for client satisfaction in each encounter, whether in person or on the phone.
- Properly address client concerns and requests, referring them to appropriate staff when necessary.
- Complete consult referrals, prior authorizations, and informs client of those appointments.
- Understand and follow the proper steps to search for a client record and set up of new accounts. Validate, verify or add insurance, including third party insurance.
- Adhere to departmental expectations (i.e. attend required meetings; participate in quality and process improvement projects, service recovery).
- Identify provider schedule capacity and analyze the availability for client demand in order to maximize provider efficiency and schedule utilization.
- Create and manipulate schedules for individual clinicians and physicians.
- Compile office charts for appointments one day in advance.
- Maintain knowledge or experience in billing and insurance principles and practices.
- Keep current with all process changes.
- Maintain confidentiality of client information.
- Strive to understand and meet the needs of the client. This may involve multi-tasking and switching gears quickly while completing a variety of tasks including checking in, collecting payments, scheduling, rescheduling, coordinating multiple appointments and canceling appointments.
- Verify client information including insurance and demographics prior to or upon check-in.
- Stay current on registration workload.
- Ensure that necessary questionnaires are completed for client visits.
- Follow appropriate guidelines and update appropriate clinical team for situations when a client cannot be seen (i.e. late client, terminated client, insurance coverage not accepted, red flag issues)
- Perform cashiering functions including the collection of co-payments and self-pay balance payments, voiding payments as needed and researching issues prior to closing.
- Maintain a neat, clean and professional work area. Keep client waiting areas cleaned, organized, and with current resource materials.
Call Center Responsibilities:
- Answer all incoming calls, identify the need of the caller and document messages as required.
- Triage calls for clients and professionals to ensure excellent customer service.
- Route emergency calls to the nursing and/or case management team in accordance to the emergency procedure.
- Enter complete and accurate phone messages in the computer and send to appropriate clinical staff.
- Provides counseling to client or their guardian regarding pre-service requirements and instructions.
Prior Authorization Responsibilities:
- Checking all MA authorizations from clinicians to ensure correct sessions, etc. are authorized before transmittal.
- Keep clinicians and billing representatives informed of any changes in the authorization process.
- Educates clients and team members regarding referral and authorization requirements, payer coverage, eligibility guidelines, documentation requirements, and insurance related changes or trends.
- Understanding all authorization procedures, including but not limited to, UBH, MA, and assisting clinicians in this process to maximize reimbursement for the organization.
- Assist clinicians in distributing treatment plan to insurance companies within the guidelines of the authorization process.
- Notifies clients and providers of any services requested and/or referred that are not authorized by insurance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma required
1+ years’ experience working in a clinical setting is preferred. Customer Service and working in an office setting is preferred.
Any appropriate combination of education and experience as determined by management.
Certifications & Licenses:
Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient and accurate typing skills required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology is preferred.
- Deductive reasoning.
- Ability to work under pressure with accuracy.
- Excellent attendance in previous work environment.
- Demonstrates intermediate computer skills and knowledge of computer software programs.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
Working Conditions and Environment
- Work is performed at the corporate location, with an office setting, indoor and climate-controlled.