Patient Care Technician - 4 East/Bariatrics/Gen Surg/Colorectal
- Job Title
- Patient Care Technician - 4 East/Bariatrics/Gen Surg/Colorectal
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
Responsible for providing patient care under the direction of licensed personnel for a defined group of patients to achieve patient outcomes.
No direct reports
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Interact(s) with staff, physicians, patients and families, other healthcare providers, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- Contributes to a positive work climate and overall effort of the hospital to provide excellent customer service.
- Uses recognized channels of communication following the chain of command.
- Consistently demonstrates competence in providing patient care routines in accordance with established nursing care procedures to ensure patient dignity, comfort, privacy and safety.
- Adheres to nursing and administrative policies and procedures.
- Under the direction of the RN, performs technical duties and selected treatments, procedures and activities which contribute to safe and efficient delivery of patient care:
- Inserts intravenous lines/Heparin locks
- Performs EKG's (telemetry monitoring)
- Implement the patient plan of care under the supervision of licensed personnel.
- Participates in discharge planning.
- Reinforces the teaching of individuals and groups of patients.
- Performs activities as assigned and demonstrates competency in them.
- Performs blood draws
- Assists patients to perform ADL's (bathing, dressing, toileting, and grooming).
- Assists in use and care of assistive devices, prosthetics and or equipment.
- Transfers and transports patients as desired.
- Performs continual observation
- Provides an accurate, thorough and timely report of patient condition to health care personnel.
- Organizes and prioritizes assignments to accommodate changing work situations under the guidance of licensed personnel.
- Measures and records intake (fluid/food) and output (bodily functions/bodily drainage).
- Observes and reports abnormal skin condition following established policy and procedures. Assist in the care of patients at risk or with actual skin breakdown.
- Identifies pain assessment needs with each vital signs and as needed and communicates as appropriate to RN.
- Obtains point-of-care testing as ordered and or delegated by the RN: blood glucose, hemoccult, multistix, and urine HCG as appropriate for patient care unit.
- Performs intentional hourly rounding and documents per unit requirements.
- States normal parameters of treatments/procedures carried out in role. Reports to the nurse any observations, patient behaviors and other indicators which fall outside the stated normal parameters or directions given by RN.
- Enters/retrieves information accurately and in a timely manner into electronic medical record (EMR).
- Demonstrates knowledge of patient safety and fall prevention strategies.
- Practice appropriate infection control procedures (ie. Proper hand hygiene, gowning and gloving, isolation techniques).
- Accompanies patients to other areas of the hospital when patient appropriate and as requested by the RN.
- Collaborates with nurse to assist in the development and ongoing evaluation of the patient’s plan of care and development of discharge plan.
- Maintains credentialing needs and skills necessary to work in technician role on their unit.
- Ensures the patient environment is clean and clutter free.
- Reports unsafe conditions to Supervisor in a timely manner
- Acts in a positive professional manner, utilizing good interpersonal relationships.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Maintains ethical/legal standards.
- Participates in the unit specific quality teams and committees as assigned.
- Exhibits fiscal accountability through cost effective use of time, materials, supplies and other resources.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics, the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- The employee must demonstrate collaboration, accountability, respect, excellence, and service.
- The employee must work with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students and other visitors.
- The employee must accept responsibility for their actions to provide health care and/or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard University Hospital values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency and the environment.
- The employee must embrace diversity and care holistically for those Howard University Hospital serves. They must treat all as they would like to be treated. They must manage the patient’s right to privacy and keep any proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- The employee must anticipates the needs of the patient and/or student. They must present themselves as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our patrons.
- The employee must behave in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all individuals they encounter.
- Complete Howard University Hospital approved training program.
- Demonstrate ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Demonstrates willingness to learn.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, physicians, Hospital and University officials, and the general public.
- High school Graduate or equivalent
- 2+ years of experience in a hospital setting as Patient Care Technician
- BLS/CPR certification required
- Must be able to stand, walk, sit, lift (up to 50 lbs.), bend, write, type, file, speak, hear, see, calculate, compare, edit, evaluate, interpret and organize for extended periods of time
- Required Skills
High school Graduate or equivalent
2+ years of experience in a hospital setting as Patient Care Technician
BLS/CPR certification required