Patient Transportation (Night Shift)
- Job Title
- Patient Transportation (Night Shift)
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
- Under the direction of the Transportation Supervisor or designee, the incumbent performs a variety of transportation duties and responsibilities in support of the patient centered care program. Responsibilities include performing patient transports, transfers, lifts and repositions using the appropriate patient lifting equipment and safe patient handling policies and procedures.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
- Interacts internally with patients, nurses, visitors, physicians and other healthcare providers.
- Safely and efficiently Transports patients to and from various areas in the Hospital.as scheduled, requested or directed
- Fulfills responsibilities as assigned and/or float basis in response to patients’ needs across all departments of the Hospital. Responds to emergent and urgent patient and operational issues.
- Perform other duties that further the customer service needs of the unit, such as answering phones, greeting and escorting patients, and administrative and clerical duties upon demand.
- Assists the unit nursing staff in transferring patients in and out of bed and on to transport equipment, as well as patient care on units.
- Covers part or all of other shifts, and/or be on call.
- Prepares, inspects and cleans transportation equipment prior to transporting patients.
- Reports incidents and any unsafe equipment to the Transportation Supervisor for maintenance and repair.
- Transports deceased patients to the morgue.
- Achieves appropriate Hospital performance and productivity standards as established.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training and adheres to the requirements.
- Adheres to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Adheres to federal health care program requirements.
- Obtains necessary certifications as required by regulatory agencies.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- These stated responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered all-inclusive. The employee assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area.
- Relates and communicates with patients, visitors, and staff in a professional, courteous and mature manner
- Ability to perform moderate lifting, prolonged walking and/or standing.
- Ability to work under potentially stressful or emergent situations.
- Ability to work cooperatively and communicate effectively.
- Knowledge of basic patient transportation and safe patient handling procedures, infection control practices and proper body mechanics.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relationships with staff, faculty, students, University and Hospital Officials, patients, and the general public.
- Competence in both oral and written English.
- Ability to meet established performance metrics.
- Must demonstrate collaboration; accountability; respect; excellence; and service.
- Works with team members and peers in and outside of their immediate work group to create an exceptional experience for patients, students, and other visitors; looks for ways to achieve departmental/institutional results by partnering.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions to provide health care and or ancillary functions in a highly efficient and compassionate manner. The employee must function as a Steward (Have Ownership) of the Howard values that foster a commitment to improving the patient and student experience, organizational efficiency, and the environment.
- Embraces diversity; cares holistically for those we serve; treats all as we would like to be treated; manages the patient’s right to privacy with meticulous care 100% of the time and keeps patient and proprietary information about the institution confidential.
- Anticipates the patient’s and student’s needs, presents as a model representative of the institution and maintains high standards of care while striving to improve performance and create exceptional experiences for our customers.
- Behaves in a friendly, resourceful and professional manner towards all they encounter; treats patients, students, and visitors in the same way that they would want their family members or themselves to be treated.
- Required Skills