The job you are applying to is currently closed to new submittals.
- Job Title
- Financial Analyst
- Open Until Filled
- Portland, OR 97204
- Other Location
- Job Class: 213.0
Let’s do great things, together
Founded in Oregon in 1955, Moda is proud to be a company of real people committed to quality. Today, like then, we’re focused on building a better future for healthcare. That starts by offering outstanding coverage to our members, compassionate support to our community and comprehensive benefits to our employees. It keeps going by connecting with neighbors to create healthy spaces and places, together.
Moda is seeking a Financial Analyst in our Financial Planning & Analysis team. This position will assist in budgeting, forecasting, analytics, benchmarking, strategic modeling, profitability analysis and more. This role is well suited for a technically skilled financial professional who enjoys analytical work (both detailed and big picture) and wants to be engaged in a fast-paced team environment.
01. Prepare detailed schedules and documentation as part of the development of the annual administrative expense budget. Carefully read budget memos, review and cross-reference proposed department budgets. Meet with budget owners to gain understanding of changes in proposed budgets. Perform analysis where necessary and make recommendations for business case scenarios as they arise in the budgeting process.
02. Analyze monthly budget-to-actuals and work with accounting and finance team as well as budget owners to review variances and document fluxes as necessary. Work with finance team on system improvements related to Adaptive Insights.
03. Assist in the preparation of annual consolidated forecast and perform monthly forecast-to-actual reconciliation. Ability to work closely with actuarial team for insurance entities, and other business owners throughout the Company for non-insurance subsidiaries.
04. Assist in the preparation of annual capital budget. Monitor actual purchases against budget.
05. Perform analysis of the Company’s overhead allocation, including documentation of methodology. Assist in evaluating the current overhead allocation methodology and help develop alternatives that will meet existing Company needs (allocating centralized costs across multiple companies and products) but improve the ability to monitor costs at a more detailed level.
06. Build financial models for varying projects, including cost accounting strategy for analysis of administrative expenses and what-if scenarios related to various lines of business or significant customers.
07. Assist in maintaining Risk-Based Capital (RBC) projections for insurance companies, which need to be projected annually and continuously monitored.
08. Apply critical thinking to know when to investigate assumptions and when/how to substantiate certain claims and/or analyses performed by internal and external parties.
09. Engage collaboratively with members of the business on cost-benefit and ROI analyses as necessary, drawing on information and expertise held by business owners, and applying the finance skillset to help arrive at informed decisions.
10. Organize and document workpapers so that baseline models/scenarios can be modified for changing assumptions. Goal is that previously-used files and associated assumptions can be easily referenced and understood by another accounting or finance team member picking them up.
11. Demonstrate continuous effort to exhibit ownership over key responsibilities, improve operations, and streamline work processes to create efficiencies.
12. Demonstrate flexibility and teaming mindset.
13. Perform other special projects or duties as assigned.
Are you ready to be a betterist?
If you’re ready to make a difference that matters, we want to hear from you. Because it’s time to discover what’s possible.
Together, we can be more. We can be better.
Moda Health seeks to allow equal employment opportunities for all qualified persons without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by law.
- Required Skills
1. Bachelor degree in Accounting or Finance.
2. 3-5 years experience in cost accounting, budgeting, and financial analysis required.
3. CPA and/or CMA or MBA preferred but not required.
4. Strong understanding of accounting concepts and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), including detailed knowledge of how financial statements flow together.
5. Understanding of Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP) preferred but not required.
6. Experience with Adaptive Insights budgeting software preferred.
7. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
8. Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
9. Ability to work well under pressure to meet strict deadlines, as well as ability to maintain flexibility to shift priorities and reprioritize.
10. Strong time-management and organization skills; ability to move multiple work streams forward at once and actively prioritize projects.
11. Proficiency with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Use of pivot tables, vlookups, and other moderately difficult Excel functions required.
12. Willingness to work additional hours when necessary.
13. Ability to maintain confidentiality and project a professional business image with both internal and external parties.