- Job Title
- Part-Time Controller
- Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Other Location
Founded in 1985, the Right Place is West Michigan’s regional economic development organization. The Right Place serves both current and prospective West Michigan companies, providing one-stop assistance for location, innovation, and growth. During this long history, the organization has assisted existing and new companies to create over 40,000 new jobs and over $4 billion in new investments.
We are looking for a Part-Time Controller who will undertake financial management including corporate accounting, financial reporting, and budgeting and forecasting. You will have proven industry experience as an accountant in a senior role. You will make it your mission to streamline our accounting and finance procedures, aiding in the organization’s continued growth.
The Part-Time Controller will be a crucial member of a small but efficient accounting team, reporting to the COO and working closely with the Staff Accountant. You will be an integral part of a high profile, mission-driven organization that has been successful in promoting businesses and opportunities for over 30 years. Your work will average between 15 and 20 hours weekly and will include a broad range of responsibilities.
What you will do:
- Perform and manage transactional accounting functions including processing accounts receivable and recording journal entries
- Maintain and strengthen internal controls by evaluating policies and developing and implementing business guidelines
- Maximize operational efficiency by assessing current accounting operations and recommending innovative system and process improvements
- Undertake special projects including design and implementation of a purchase order system
- Ensure timely reporting and compliance with regulatory requirements by exercising quality control over financial transactions, issuing complete financial statements, and coordinating annual audit and tax filing
- Oversee financial planning by preparing budgets and forecasts, presenting risk analysis, and calculating and reporting variances
- Help guide financial decisions and support operational strategies by creating comprehensive reports and providing updates to senior leadership
- Support the organization’s activities by taking on projects and performing additional tasks independently and as part of a team
What we are looking for:
- A Certified Public Accountant
- Proven public accounting, nonprofit accounting, and/or internal auditing experience desired
- Strong organizational skills and ability to deliver quality work under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate financial information into sound business language and discuss issues and results through reports and presentations
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills and ability to build relationship with a diverse team
- Effective strategic planning and ability to think critically through complex situations and translate strategies into financial plans
- High initiative and action orientation and ability to work with energy and drive while exploring other opportunities to contribute
- Advanced Excel skills and proficiency in accounting software, Blackbaud Financial Edge preferred
What we offer:
- Opportunity to make a positive impact on the economic health of West Michigan
- Opportunity to collaborate with the best and brightest business minds
If you want to join our outstanding team, please apply online today!
Learn more about us at https://www.rightplace.org