Interested in joining our team?
Learn more about our available positions below.
- Job Title
- Medical Assistant
- Job ID
- Medina, OH
- Other Location
The Medical Assistant is usually the first clinical contact a patient has with the practice. While supporting the mission and philosophy of the practice, this employee assists the physician in coordinating patient care and providing quality clinical expertise. The primary functions of the Medical Assistant are facilitators while demonstrating excellent patient service, clinical protocols and physician directed priorities. The Medical Assistant serves as the key liaison between the patient and the physician. The position must be able to demonstrate empathy, composure and politeness at all times while dealing with patients. The position must also be able to work and interact as part of a team and have the skills to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Escort the patient from the waiting room to the exam room.
- Identify the patient by name and date of birth.
- Perform basic procedures such as collecting urine specimen for urinalysis and preparing slide for microscopic examination as ordered by physician.
- If ordered by physician, preform venipuncture for blood draws for PSA and/or testosterone levels.
- Obtain blood pressure, height and weight
- Ask patient for any medication allergies
- Obtain current medication list including prescription, over-the-counter and vitamin/supplements.
- Review surgical, medical, social and family history information. Document in EMR under ROS on new patients as documented (Review Of Systems).
- If patient is smoker, counsel patient on smoking cessation and give patient a smoking cessation pamphlet.
- If patient is female over 65 years old, assess for urinary incontinence and document in EMR under ROS (review of systems).
- Document all above information in EMR system (Urochart).
- Prepares exam room including appropriate set-up for procedures.
- Assist at procedures (female exams, cystoscopy, prostate biopsy(MA 2), Testopel insertions and vasectomy(MA 2)).
- Prepare and have available all appropriate medical equipment/instruments necessary for appointment
- Responsible for proper disinfection/sterilization of medical equipment and instruments and the proper disposal/cleaning of contaminated supplies.
- Administer injections/medications as ordered by physician.
- As ordered by physician perform bladder scanning, catheter insertion/removal, bladder irrigations(MA 2), dressing changes, and suture removal(MA 2).
- Educates patients and answers patient questions.
- As directed by physician notifies patients of abnormal test results
- Calls patients for urine drop offs and semen rechecks
- E-scribe in EMR any medications ordered by physician to pharmacies.
- Assist in patient callbacks and prescription refills under the direction of the nurse practitioner, physician assistant and/or physician.
- Document appropriate information into EMR: messages, patient phone calls and orders.
- Maintain clean work environment including exam rooms, laboratory, dirty utility room and medication room. Keep all work areas in a neat and organized manner.
- Maintain laboratory logs as assigned including follow-up.
- Run controls on PSA/Testosterone machine weekly
- Run controls on urinalysis machine as needed with new batch of test strips
- Monitor disinfection solution (Revitol Ox).Change solution every 2 weeks
- Monitor temperatures: room, humidity and refrigerators
- Restocks supplies in exam room.
- Send all specimens with requisitions to appropriate outside labs: urines, biopsy and other tissues.
- Use professional judgment to maintain confidentiality of patient information.
- Continually search for efficient, patient focused work methods.Discuss implementation of methods with management.
- Comply with all OSHA regulations.
- Backs up in office dispensing when necessary
- Maintain annual competencies and/or training.
- Perform other related work/duties as required and assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 1-3 years of clinical experience.
- High School graduate or equivalent required.
- Certified or eligible for certification as a Medical Assistant in the state of employment.
- Current CPR certification.
- Basic PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as necessary.
- Oncology and/or Radiology experience.
- Urology practice experience.
Excellent judgment, dependability, conscientious performance. Detail oriented. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Caring and empathetic. High ethical standards. Mechanical ability and manual dexterity for operating complicated equipments.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must lift and/or move 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, speech clarity, climb, balance, and stoop, kneel, and bend.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to environmental risk of radiation exposure, and biohazard exposure.