Interested in joining our team?
Learn more about our available positions below.
- Job Title
- Appointment Scheduler
- Job ID
- Middleburg Heights, OH
- Other Location
The appointment scheduler is responsible for answering phone calls and respond to the caller’s queries regarding appointments or general organizational information. Appointment schedulers create appointments in accordance with the timing needs of callers and staff availability. They route calls to relevant department personnel, if necessary, and take messages from callers as requested to relay to the appropriate person. The scheduler must be able to maintain composure and politeness at all times while dealing with patients. The scheduler must also be able to work and interact as part of a team and have the skills to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Answer the incoming calls with excellent telephone skills within three (3) rings.
- Complete incoming call request or transfer to the appropriate staff member.
- Schedule and confirm diagnostic or medical consultation appointments for patients and give them the necessary pre-appointment instructions or facility information.
- Complete appropriate order if necessary for blood work or radiology and fax or mail to facility or patient.
- Mail new patient packets to new patients or any patient who hasn’t been seen in the office in 2 years.
- Print routing slip for patients added on for the same day if in EMR. If more information is needed from hospital or an ER visit notify the medical records department to collect all appropriate additional information.
- Cancel and reschedule appointments for patients as requested when patient calls.
- Maintain master list of all appointments for all providers in MD Suites.
- Notify staff at front desk check-in via office communication if patient cancels appointment for same day and if there is or is not a reschedule date.
- Notify appropriate medical assistant, nurse or Mid-Level providerif a patient is added for the same day.
- Complete routing slips and phone note for patients who call in for semen drop-offs or urine drop off’s and bring to front desk check-in.
- Record information on phone calls received regarding patients that are deceased. Follow office protocol to record the information in MD Suites and Urochart. Forward information to Medical Administrative Assistant (Esther via phone note in Urochart) to mail sympathy card.
- Take messages from patients, record them in Urochart and route them to the appropriate staff member to complete. If the message is for a prescription refill that can be completed in Urochart complete it.
- Phone calls regarding hospital consults record in notebook and send page to the appropriate doctor.
- Monitor doctor’s schedules periodically throughout the year to call and reschedule patients who have appointments on dates that the doctors will be out of the office.
- Send out weekly meeting schedule to each doctor.
- Contact Medical Staff offices for all hospitals fourth quarter to obtain the list of meetings the doctors are required to attend. Block out doctors’ schedules.
- Block out in MD suites and the Call Master schedule doctors’ schedules for any time off requests where they will be out of the office. Maintain log of doctors meetings and time off requests.
- Input patient information in the reminder do not call system (reminder pro) for patients who DO NOT wish to receive calls.
- Monitor reminder pro to make sure it is working properly and that computer is re-booted at least every two weeks.
- Program new patient packets in the copier and maintain an adequate inventory of new patient packets.
- Maintain Stent log. To make sure patients return for removal of their stent placement in a timely fashion.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 1-3 years of telephone switchboard/receptionist experience.
- High School graduate or equivalent required.
- .Basic PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as necessary.
- Oncology and/or Radiology experience.
- Urology practice experience.
Excellent judgment, dependability, conscientious performance. Detail oriented. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Caring and empathetic. High ethical standards. Mechanical ability and manual dexterity for operating complicated equipments.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must lift and/or move 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, speech clarity, climb, balance, and stoop, kneel, and bend.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to environmental risk of radiation exposure, and biohazard exposure.