Patient Access Associate I - FT (Admitting Office)
- Job Title
- Patient Access Associate I - FT (Admitting Office)
- Job ID
- Washington, DC 20060
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a (Patient Access Associate I) who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Patient Access Associate I:
- Exhibits excellent customer service skills in all direct interactions with patients, family members, clinicians, third-party payers, hospital employees, and co-workers.
- Contacts insurance carriers and/or reviews information from automated insurance verification systems to determine coverage and eligibility.
- Conducts follow-up with patients involved in accidents or their representing attorneys to obtain required insurance, financial, or accident information.
- Initiates and views HDX Eligibility systems in order to screen all insurance plans during the registration process.
- Knows and adheres to government regulations relative to Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) and Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire (MSPQ) and Advance Beneficiary Notice (ABN).
- Uses Siemens EDM (Electronic Document Management) to electronically capture and store documents in support of the creation of the patient’s hospital electronic record. Verifies patient information in all Siemens Envision registration pathways.
- Electronically scans or copies all patient identification cards, drivers’ license, insurance cards, patient referrals, and all other financial documents.
- Obtains signatures on all required hospital and regulatory forms.
- Utilizes Soarian Scheduling and all other scheduling systems to make appointments for hospital clinics and ancillary departments.
- Supports the Nursing Staffing Office, physicians, and hospital administrators with all unit bed placements. Utilizes Teletracking and Envision to complete all ADT transactions to document the patient type change.
- Contacts patients, guarantors, or family members for missing or erroneous data.
- Communicates all financial or insurance information to the Financial Counselors and Case Management when applicable.
- Enters laboratory and radiology orders in all applicable hospital systems.
- Identifies all self-pay patients and those who may qualify for Medicaid and refer them to the appropriate teams who will complete all necessary applications.
- Accepts and secures all patient valuables when the Cashier’s Office is closed. Cross trains within all registration areas.
- Contributes to all team-building exercises and workshops coordinated by department and hospital.
- Promotes adherence to the Health Sciences Compliance Program, the Howard University Code of Ethics, and the Health Sciences Standards of Conduct.
- Attends annual and periodic mandatory Compliance Program training including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy training.
- Participates in activities that promote adherence to federal healthcare program requirements.
- Actively participates in Health Sciences Compliance Program activities. Adheres to the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Policies and Procedures. Maintains confidentiality of patients, families, and staff.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are related and appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all-inclusive.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent, Associate’s Degree preferred.
- Three years experience in patient access/registration, billing, cash collections, insurance, pre-certifications, or related experience in a medical center/physician office environment.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Must be able to work rotating weekends and must be flexible to department needs and work all shifts (days, evenings, and nights) and holidays if needed.
- Consideration may be given to an appropriate combination of education, training, and experience. Must pass a typing test administered by the Human Resources Department.
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- Required Skills
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Associate’s Degree preferred.
Three (3) year’s experience in patient access/registration, billing, cash collections, insurance, pre-certifications, or related experience in a medical center/physician office environment. Medical terminology preferred.
Must be able to work rotating weekends and must be flexible to department needs and work all shifts (days evenings and nights) and holidays if needed. Consideration may be given to an appropriate combination of education training and experience.
Must pass a typing test administered by the Human Resources Department.