Director, Channel Sales (Specifications Business)
- Job Title
- Director, Channel Sales (Specifications Business)
- Job ID
- Garland, TX 75040
- Other Location
Director, Channel Sales (Specifications Business)
Department: Channel Sales
Manager: VP, Channel Sales
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Garland, TX
The Director, Channel Sales (Specifications Business) will lead the architectural marketing efforts of Fortress Building Products to reach new heights of success by designing and deploying new strategies to build brand image awareness and presence with the AEC community. Leading a team focused on builder sales, architectural specifications, national accounts, and high security business development, you and your team will collaborate with various departments to ensure sales processes and programs are successful by identifying and securing Fortress product specifications.
OUR PURPOSE STATEMENT
Lead Global Change in the Way People Build and Live
Innovative Building Solutions
OUR CORE VALUES
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put the TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that like to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement – We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for strategic vision and planning that should be communicated through the creation and execution of a strategic plan that will assure a profitable growth path for Fortress Building Product Solutions.
- Provide operational and sales leadership to guide the team through a tactical execution of the plan.
- Collaborate with Channel Sales Directors and Product & Brand Directors to set and monitor marketing and product management direction while overseeing sales and specification activities.
- Conduct evaluations of the Fortress Building Product Solutions sales team and provide mentoring, leadership, training, and development. Evaluate, establish, and develop a high performing team. Design, implement, and manage the organizational structure of the team that will assure profitable growth and the accomplishment of our annual sales plan.
- Set and implement procedures, processes, and controls that will improve efficiencies and can support our desired growth.
- Collaborate with cross functional personnel, both domestic and international, to ensure alignment of key strategic initiatives for Fortress Building Product Solutions.
- Complete an annual budget and corresponding business strategy that supports meeting the company’s financial forecast. Continuously track progress and assure that quarterly and annual goals for the business unit budget are met.
- Work with the leadership team to develop current and long-term goals, plans, objectives, and policies.
- Provide strong leadership to all functions of the business and build a "service/customer-oriented" culture. Reinforce, throughout the entire company, the desire and commitment to the highest levels of customer service. Communicate and demonstrate this commitment to all customers.
- Evaluate areas of need and +/- impacts. When needed, lead an effective search and recruitment process to assure the “best of the best” in new members of the team.
- Lead the sales team to maximize gross margin dollars through a strategic pricing and sales strategy.
- Create promotional, market based, or product-based opportunities to spur off-season sales.
- Create and execute a plan to successfully launch new products.
- Achieve a very high, year over year growth percentage.
- Own strategic direction and relationships with third-party sites focusing on the AEC community.
- Identify and evaluate advertising and promotional opportunities in print, web, new media, etc.
- Attend industry events and work national trade shows as applicable.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES Direct responsibility to lead, manage, and hold accountable the following positions and indirect responsibility for all employees that report into these positions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and developing direct reports; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Director, Builder Sales
- Sr. Area Specifications Manager
- National Accounts Manager
- Business Development Manager – High Security
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Achievement Focus – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delay, or unexpected events.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflows and procedures.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Consultative Selling – Qualifies potential customers; builds rapport and establishes trust; asks questions to discover client business needs; applies product and market knowledge effectively; presents solutions that meets customer objectives; manages and documents sales process.
Cooperation – Establishes and maintains effective relationships; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
Managing Customer Focus – Promotes customer focus; ensures that organizational resources and support are focused on meeting customer needs; holds others accountable for meeting customer needs; establishes relationships with key customers; monitors customer satisfaction; develops new approaches to meeting customer needs.
Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes oneself available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
Performance Coaching – Defines responsibilities and expectations; sets goals and objectives; gives performance feedback; motivates for increased results; recognizes contributions; encourages training and development.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Technical Expertise – Effectively applies technical knowledge to solve a range of problems; develops solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches; is sought out to provide advice or solutions in the area of expertise; keeps informed about current developments in the area of expertise.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- 10+ years of progressive sales management experience with demonstrated history of developing and implementing successful sales strategies
- 5+ years of specifications selling experience preferably in the building materials industry
- 2+ years of applied professional experience leading managers
- One, three, five, and ten-year strategy development experience
- Excellent interpersonal and customer interfacing abilities
- Solid customer service attitude with excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to build an industry presence
- An ability to create, understand, and analyze sales performance metrics
- Knowledge of CRM software and Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to travel up to 10% of the time
- Dallas area residency preferred
- Bilingual – English/Spanish a plus
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements. Light to moderate lifting is required. Ability to uphold the stress of traveling.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.