Surgical Technician - Operating Room
- Job Title
- Surgical Technician - Operating Room
- Job ID
- Washington, DC
- Other Location
With over 150 years of caring for our community and each other in the Washington DC area, Howard University Hospital has a world-renowned reputation for high-quality, patient-centric care. Howard University Hospital is the nation’s only teaching hospital located on the campus of a Historically Black University and has created a superior learning environment, with groundbreaking research and positive patient outcomes.
Howard University Hospital seeks to hire a Surgical Technician who will embrace our reach and historic tradition of excellence. If you want to make a difference in someone’s life every day, consider a position with a team of professionals who are doing just that, making a difference.
The Surgical Technician:
- Reviews preference card and ensures all supplies, instruments, equipment, positioning aids and other items identified are available and in the room for scheduled surgical procedure
- Responsible for preoperative duties as follows: Donning Operation Room attire and personal protective equipment (PPE); gathering, checking and opening supplies, instruments and equipment needed for the surgical procedure in a timely manner; performing the surgical scrub and donning gown and gloves; setting up the sterile back table and Mayo stand with instruments, supplies, equipment and labels medications/solutions needed for the procedure; performing initial instrument, sharps and sponge counts with the circulator; assisting the team members with gowning and gloving; assisting with draping the patient and establishing the sterile field; participating in the surgical site and patient verification during the time out procedure; securing tubing, cords and other sterile accessories; maintaining aseptic techniques and monitoring sterile field
- Monitors room for traffic control, proper attire, and safety violations throughout procedure
- Collaborates with SPD to maintain instruments in good condition/working order through appropriate handling and identification/notification of repairs needed
- Responsible for Intraoperative duties as follows: preparing and anticipating additional instrumentation, equipment and supplies for usage during the procedure; measuring and passing medications, hemostatic agents and irrigation solutions utilized during the surgical procedure; holding retractors or instruments as directed by the surgeon; performing intra-operative sponge and needle counts according to policy and procedure; applying electro cautery to clamps or forceps on bleeders as directed by the surgeon; assists in basic
- Follows lock out/tag out procedures for malfunctioning equipment and reports to charge nurse/Nurse Manager or designee
- Participates in maintaining the environment of care by being observant of the environment and appropriately identifying and reporting unsafe conditions to management or designee
- Graduate of Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Six (6) months of Surgical Technology experience or have performed a minimum of 80 surgical procedures in the role of first scrub as a Surgical Technology student
- Must be able to obtain Surgical Technologist certification within six (6) months of employment. BLS Certification required
At Howard University Hospital our job is to care for you. We do this by offering:
Work life balance
Recognition and rewards for professional expertise
Competitive, comprehensive benefit plans offered (including health, disability, vacation, sick leave, and 403B retirement plan)
- Required Skills
Knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, microbiology, and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient care.
Expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique
Ability to combine the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a surgeon’s performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
Ability to problem-solve in relation to the procedure being performed.
Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of patient information.
Ability to operate surgical equipment/devices needed for surgical procedures.
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions and adhere to hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
Basic computer application skills.
High attention to detail; exceptional organizational skills.