Careers at RxSense
Our culture is more than a set of values, principles and promises. It’s the dynamic embodiment of who we are, where we’ve been and where we’re headed tomorrow.
Principal Software Engineer
- Job Title
- Principal Software Engineer
- Job ID
- Other Location
Principal Software Engineer
RxSense is a Boston-based health technology company offering powerful technology solutions built to make prescription drugs more affordable for all. We operate two business units – Enterprise Platform Solutions, which provides turnkey technology services to employers, health plans, and others who wish to administer pharmacy benefits, and Direct to Consumer (DTC), which offers cash pay prescription benefits to people under the consumer brand SingleCare.
Incorporated in 2014, RxSense is one of the fastest-growing companies in New England. We are privately held and proud to have been recognized by Fast Company as one of 2020’s Most Innovative Companies, and by Forbes as a 2020 Best Startup Employer. Our CEO and Founder, Rick Bates, was named the EY New England Entrepreneur of the Year award winner in 2018.
About the Role
The Principal Software Engineer will serve as the technical lead and hands-on developer (as needed) for a core piece of our platform product. This opportunity comes at a pivotal moment of growth for RxAgile. You will be part of a cross-functional, largely autonomous product engineering team, collaborating with developers, designers and the product manager to scale our cloud-based web platform. You will be required to guide, lead, mentor and closely work with the engineers on both your team and across our company. You will be accountable for the design, architecture, quality, and measurability of the systems.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities include review and creation of the design, architecture as well as ownership on quality, measurability and maintainability.
· Identify, conceive, and deliver without supervision, with complete latitude for independent judgment
· Partner with product managers and designers to deeply understand the needs of our users to architect and build a product that serves those needs
· Build infrastructure to handle millions of transactions and secure, sensitive health data
· Write modular, secure, and well-tested code
· Design and architect software capable of reaching millions of users
· Ensure our development environment is best in class by delivering improvements to internal tooling and direct partnership with our product platform teams
· Articulate a technical vision for a more enlightened way of working and work with multi-functional partners to deliver that vision
· Mentor less experienced peers and display leadership as needed
· Take product operational responsibility set measurable goals, and meet them
Experiences, Skills, and Abilities
We ask that you have:
· 10+ years of work-related industry experience developing high-performance web applications in Golang (or an equivalent, popular, strongly typed programming language like Java, or C#)
· Experience architecting and developing distributed systems design
· Experience writing RESTful microservices with a popular web framework
· Proficiency with relational databases (like MySQL or SQL Server) and performance tuning
· Mastery of your development stack; for example with Java, have a thorough understanding of the JVM, Tomcat, JDBC, Maven and DI libraries like Guice
· Solid CS fundamentals with experience across a range of disciplines, with one or more area of deep knowledge and experience
· A consistent track record of developing, shipping, and maintaining large-scale web applications with a user mindset
· A comprehensive understanding of complex backend architectures and their core pieces, such as service models, protocols, reliability, deployment, and capacity
· Experience with AWS offerings such as EC2, ALBs, RDS, Beanstalk, and API Gateway
· Proven analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Regularly required to sit and talk or hear. Frequently required to stand and walk. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
• Ability to sit for long periods of time and walk short distances.
• Occasional travel required.