- Job Title
- Systems Administrator
- Job ID
- Hines, IL
- Other Location
VA Systems Administrator
Project: VA LVSS (LAN Virtual Server).
Location: Hines IL
Salary Target: $65K – $71K
Role: System Admin
Project: Veterans Administration - LVSS (LAN Virtual Server)
Location: Hines (Chicago area) IL
Roles and Responsibilities:
Responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers. The Systems Administrator position will include, but is not limited to, the following tasks:
- Provide on-site and remote system architecture and support services for Storage Management Environment
- Manage the following tools: Dell/EMC VIPR Storage Resource Manager, NetApp System Manager, NetApp Unified Manager, Putty, CommVault, Navisphere, Unisphere, Failover Cluster Manager, and Scripting/PowerShell.
- Monitor system logs and system performance (e.g. processor, memory and disk utilization) and conduct performance tuning and capacity planning.
- Conduct quarterly performance testing and evaluation of new storage devices, platforms, and products provided by Government resources for business continuity purposes and document the results in Share-point.
- Monitor, plan, and coordinate the distribution of software and service packs.
- Troubleshoot and resolve Tier 3 Help Desk tickets (approximately 10-15 per week) generated by VA National Service Desk. Document, in the Service Now help desk ticket, root cause analysis of issues or problems described in the Help Desk tickets, and escalate issues as required to VA Platforms Division management.
- Test and apply server BIOS and firmware upgrades within deadlines established by VA approximately once quarterly. Document upgrades within Change Management system in Monthly Progress Report.
- Install, deploy, configure, and update Windows servers within deadlines established by VA
- Update documentation, (Change Orders, rack elevation diagrams, procedures and logs) within one (1) business day after adding, moving, or excessing (i.e. removing) hardware equipment within the data center.
- Review backup job logs and update weekly checklist to verify that daily backups of Virtual Machines were performed and completed as expected and that any issues were resolved. Perform backup restore tests weekly on two or three servers and sign off on restoration checklists.
- Review monthly Nessus (i.e., vulnerability scan) reports, remediate identified vulnerabilities, and update remediation status as instructed in associated action item (AI).
- Review monthly Technical Reference ModelList of Prohibited Applications, notify the system owners who have any of these prohibited applications installed on their systems, and then remove the prohibited applications from the impacted Windows servers.
- Respond, by the response deadlines, to AIs received from VA OI&T or other VA entities by completing required steps and documentation. AIs occur approximately three times per week and include monthly server patches and updates to server Operating Systems, applications or hardware.
- Provide monthly activity reports for systems administration team to the program manager.
- U.S. Citizenship.
· Must be willing and able to obtain a VA Moderate Risk Background Investigation for the position, post hire.
- Systems Administration Certification (MCSE, MCSA, RedHat, etc)
· 4 - 6 Years of System Administration Experience
· A relevant educational degree in one of the follow fields: Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, Cyber Security, Statistics, Business Administration, Systems Engineering, Computation Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Data Analytics, Information Technology, Information Security and Assurance, Mathematics, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, or Telecommunications.
· Knowledge of VA culture, mission, and IT environment#LI-KB1