Manufacturing Operator (Full-Time)
- Job Title
- Manufacturing Operator (Full-Time)
- Job ID
- Edina, MN 55436
- Other Location
The Manufacturing Operator performs machining and/or finishing procedures in the custom manufacturing process to produce quality parts on time. Successful Manufacturing Operators engage in cross-training, demonstrate quality at the source, practice continuous improvement, work safely, and support a culture of trust and continuous learning by helping to figure out errors and mistakes without pointing fingers.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manufacturing quality parts on time
- Reviews job routing completely and thoroughly along with any other documents (print, job card, control plan, etc.) prior to starting the job to ensure the part is produced accurately/successfully
- Utilizes DIEMOND software as needed
- Completes required documentation on the job router accurately and thoroughly
- Performs a variety of secondary operations on parts manufactured as per customer requirements, including but not limited to: assembly, vulcanizing, gluing, picking, labeling and bagging
- Performs a variety of machine work, including but not limited to:
- Cutting, kiss cutting and creasing operations of the use of steel rule and permanent tool dies
- Short-run and long-run work requiring the ability to perform a variety of machine operations and/or to operate several types of machines
- May perform machine set-up, digitizes machine utilizing software
- Identifies faulty equipment and machine operation promptly by paying attention to machine sounds, operations, parts being produced, and other equipment leading indicators and notifies appropriate parties promptly
- Assists in determining when dies need repair or rework
- Issues materials and boxes accurately; records actual material quantity used to produce strips, blanks, etc.
- Seeks opportunities to increase part yield from materials
- Examines parts to maintain part integrity and packaging requirements within customer specifications
- Demonstrates quality at the source— checks for uniformity of parts, no burrs, ease of picking part, etc.; notifies others as appropriate (co-workers, supervisors, quality team, etc.) if quality issues are present
- Examines parts produced and forwards to QA for first article inspection and in-process inspection as necessary; makes adjustments as needed to maintain production within standards
- Places finished products (for shipment or storage) in appropriately sized shipping containers with identification labels; sends finished products to shipping with corresponding job routing
- Documents suggestions for changes to time required for processing the job, quantity/yield, process improvements, operations, or packaging instructions, on the job card for future reference
- Suggested changes will be reviewed and approved by Manufacturing Manager or Supervisor
- Executes basic routine maintenance activities, including but not limited to:
- Discarding scrap and cleaning work area
- Greases and cleans machines according to preventive maintenance chart
- Notifies supervisor timely of any work-related concerns or suggestions
- Attends and participates in department and company meetings
- Assists co-workers and shares knowledge to help them learn and improve
- Participates in cross-training as assigned
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of department-specific, safety and work-related policies
- Asks questions timely and proactively; seeks information instead of guessing, speaks up when unsure
- ACS & Materials
- Performs simple transactions in ACS on a daily basis (will be identified as needed) to ensure tracking of labor and material
- Notify Supervisor to work with Customer Service in the case of over-ship, under-ship, etc.
- Assists in locating materials for co-workers in their value stream when needed
Jig for backslitting, assembly jigs, box cutters, tape machines, calculators, tape measures, lifting devices, roll stands, carts; basic hand tools such as: keyboards, carts, 2 wheelers, hand jacks, vacuum cleaners, sealer, vulcanizer, press, calipers, blueprint.
Education & Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) or one to three months related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with PCs in a manufacturing environment, including computerized presses, digital knives, and similar.
Language Ability: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees.
Mathematical Ability: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all unites of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Other Essential Duties
- Contributes to and supports a results-based work environment and fosters strong internal customer relations
- Leads by example, earns respect and always gives it to others; actively listens to others; works well with others even when under stress and/or pressure; maintains a professional demeanor regardless of professional/opinion or emotions
- Demonstrates and integrates PGC’s Critical Success Factors into all activities
- Supports customer centric philosophy
- Uses the 3Cs (Communicate, Coordinate, and Collaborate) to promptly share reliable and complete information with appropriate staff who need to know information including manger or supervisor
- Seeks out resources for personal/professional improvement; learns enthusiastically; is coachable and retains new learnings and applies them successfully and consistently in the work environment; uses PGC Library and completes trainings with the deadlines assigned
- Participates in cross-training and triple-redundancy initiatives
- Maintains a thorough understanding of department-specific, safety, and company-related policies and procedures
- Ensures a safe working environment and notifies Safety Coordinator, manager/supervisor, or executive if an unsafe condition is identified
- Participates in safety programs such as stretching, work rotations or other initiatives to promote a “Zero Injury Lost Time” work environment
- Maintains confidentiality of information per the PGC Employee Handbook, the terms of the Confidentiality & Non-Compete Agreement or Confidentiality Agreement (as applicable), and as otherwise instructed
- Attends and participates in department and company meetings and initiatives; contributes effectively
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing this job, the employee is frequently exposed to different types of materials (rubber, graphite, etc.), mechanical moving parts, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job; the employee should also review the Physical Requirements Addendum. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to sit or stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk, and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.