Interested in joining our team?
Learn more about our available positions below.
- Job Title
- Medical Physicist
- Job ID
- Apple Valley, CA 92307
- Other Location
Job Purpose: Primarily and professionally engaged in the design optimization, technical evaluation and precise and accurate delivery of radiation for patient care. Responsible for the radiation safety of patients and staff and for the design and implementation of the quality management that involve the use of external beam radiotherapy equipment and therapeutic isotopes.
· Calibrate therapy equipment in a manner suitable for accurate radiation dose delivery.
· Direct the determination of radiation dose distributions in patients undergoing treatment (i.e. computerized dosimetry planning or direct radiation measurement).
· Direct the acceptance testing of new equipment and treatment devices.
· Direct the design and construction of patient treatment aids or special devices (blocks, compensators, molds, etc.).
· Direct the radiation safety program for the radiation oncology department.
· Participate in equipment planning and evaluation, program planning, marketing, staff review and budget preparation.
· Maintain proper records necessary for JCAHO, NRC, state, or other regulatory agencies.
· Review and approve department policies and procedures.
· Develop policies and procedures related to radiation safety and radiation oncology physics.
· Provide consultation for personnel radiation exposure as needed.
· Design and implement pertinent aspects of the quality management program that involve the use of external beam radiotherapy equipment and therapeutic radioisotopes.
· Manage the medical physics service in a manner to meet or exceed established standards of practice consistent with the facility size and available resources.
· Evaluate new technologies and implement as needed.
· Consult with the radiation oncologists, as required, concerning patient doses and optimization of patient treatment plans and delivery.
· Provide technical direction of radiation oncology staff as specified by the department medical director.
· Serve as the focal point for machine maintenance and repair.
· Monitor equipment to ensure that correct and consistent results or outputs are achieved and ensuring that ongoing maintenance routines are followed.
· Troubleshoot problems with hardware and software as needed.
· Regular attendance and punctuality.
· Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
· Ensures that all processing and reporting deadlines are consistently achieved.
· Perform any other functions as required by management.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
· Ability to work a flexible schedule (including overtime, and weekends), as necessary.
· Compliance with the ABR Standard for Continuing Medical Education.
· Masters or PHD in Medical Physics.
· ABR eligible or working toward ABR certification.
· Valid Driver’s license & Reliable Transportation.
· Certification by the American Board of Radiology in Therapeutic Radiological Physics and Radiological Physics.
Excellent judgment, dependability, conscientious performance. Detail oriented. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Caring and empathetic. High ethical standards. Mechanical ability and manual dexterity for operating complicated equipments.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must lift and/or move 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, speech clarity, climb, balance, and stoop, kneel, and bend.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to environmental risk of radiation exposure, and biohazard exposure.