Interested in joining our team?
Learn more about our available positions below.
Certified Professional Coder
- Job Title
- Certified Professional Coder
- Job ID
- Nashville, TN 37205
- Other Location
The Certified Professional Coder assists in generating revenue by assigning and monitoring the coding and reimbursement activities for professional and technical services provided within a group of specialty areas.
- Direct assigning of ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes by analyzing patient medical records
- Ensure documentation by providers conforms to legal and procedural requirements
- Consults with follow-up team prior to assigning claims to the appeals department for disputed / denied claims.
- Provides feedback/training for physicians and staff in with any coding insufficiencies
- Reviews diagnosis codes assigned by staff prior to submission when assigned
- Assisting with research of denied claims
- Applies modifiers, checks CCI edits and assists with charge entry
- Aware of governmental regulations, protocols and third party requirements in reference to coding principles
- Maintain a working knowledge of EMR, the registration process and charge entry
- Ability to work effectively with providers and co-workers
- Regular attendance and punctuality.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Ensures that all processing and reporting deadlines are consistently achieved.
- Perform any other functions as required by management.
- Certification in CPC, CHONC or specialty coding with one to three years experience directly related to coding and reimbursement for physician services
- Educational requirements: BS preferred
- Attention to detail and the ability to organize information and tasks are essential.
- Knowledge of current and developing issues and trend in medical coding procedures and requirements.
- Working knowledge of ICD-9 and ICD-10 diagnosis codes, HCPCS, and CPT coding assignment.
- Knowledge of medical terminology
Ability to work in a team environment and enjoy multi-job functions. Strong Business and Organizational Competence. Exceptional Customer Service Skills. Strong functional Competence. Interpersonal Skill Competency. Stress Tolerance. Initiative. Adaptability. Accountability. Integrity. Self-Confidence. Time Management Skills with an emphasis on multi-tasking.
Physical Demands and work environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: Required job duties are essentially sedentary in nature, consisting of occasional walking, standing, lifting and/or carrying ten pounds maximum, seeing, speaking and hearing. Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
Work environment: Required job duties are normally performed in a climate-controlled office environment.