Engineering Project Manager II
- Job Title
- Engineering Project Manager II
- Job Order ID
- Begin Date
- Direct Hire
- Jacksonville, FL 32204
- Other Location
Idea Recruitment has partnered with a public transit service provider in Jacksonville, FL in their search for a Engineering Project Manager II
Under the direction of the Director – Horizontal and Special Programs in the Construction & Engineering Department, this position is responsible for managing the active transportation-related capital construction projects implemented by the System Development Division.
Essential Job Function
· Prioritizes, plans, schedules, and oversees the inspection work for assigned projects within the Horizontal & Special Programs section, including but not limited to bicycle, pedestrian and multiuse trails and pedestrian safety improvements..
· Attends City of Jacksonville Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee meetings and serves as a liaison for the System Development Division. Reports back to the Sr. Program Manager – Horizontal and Special Programs with updates and concerns.
· Assists the Sr. Program Manager – Horizontal and Special Programs with internal and external stakeholder relations and coordination for bicycle, pedestrian and trail initiatives, and serves as the Construction & Engineering representative as assigned.
· Manages the safety, quality, permitting, right-of-way acquisition, project bidding, scheduling, cost control, payment certification, commissioning, closeout, and acceptance of the assigned projects.
· Manages design, right-of-way acquisition and construction for priority trails and ensure designs consider future connections and adjacent planned development.
· Coordinates the work of engineering personnel, designers, manufacturers, construction engineering and inspection team, independent testing agencies, and contractors on assigned projects. Ensures that safety and quality are established as project priorities.
· Develops and maintains project budgets and cost estimates for assigned projects.
· Participates in and leads bid document reviews, design optimization reviews and value engineering of capital project designs performed by Authority consultants.
· Participates in a leading role in pre-bid conferences held for assigned projects.
· Procures professional and construction services in accordance with JTA guidelines. Develops contract scopes and evaluates and negotiates fee proposals and schedules for construction contracts, to achieve desired project objectives.
· Manages design contracts to ensure complete, quality and timely submittals. Ensures right-of-way acquisition, permits and other requirements are obtained prior to scheduled construction.
· Reviews and approves contractor and consultant invoices, and evaluates actual periodic performance against project schedule. Ensures that earned value reporting of progress is maintained on a monthly basis. Verifies invoices are accurate and required documentation is obtained prior to approval.
· Ensures that thorough project records are kept and maintained within the appropriate department network folders sand software application(s) throughout the life of the project, and monitors change and claim activity.
· Responsible for leading the activity of reviewing and analyzing contractor change requests and claims for time and cost. Prepares the Authority’s position and recommendation for negotiations with the contractor. Maintains an updated list of Potential Change Orders at all times during construction.
· Assists the Sr. Program Manager in conducting public meetings, and makes presentations relating to the construction plans and progress. Prepares responses to public information requests and concerns regarding the construction work.
· Conducts periodic construction field reviews to assess progress, check the job site safety and security, and verify that environmental requirements are being managed. Prepares reports detailing the construction review, and makes recommendations to the Program Manager on issues requiring resolution.
· Manages the construction and engineering inspection teams on assigned projects to ensure proper construction management of JTA projects from contract Notice to Proceed to contract closeout, and handover.
· Manages the review and response to requests for information from the contractor. Ensures that responses are appropriate, thorough, and timely.
· Ensures that field inspections, reports, pay estimates, contractor requests, claims, etc. are responded to in a professional and timely manner.
· Ensures the timely submission of project record documents and drawings. Responsible for managing the review and comment activity associated with the submissions.
· Coordinates the completion, facility occupancy and handover process with the project owners. Ensures that all remaining open punch items are completed to the satisfaction of the Authority.
· Responsible for the preparation of periodic updates of the project progress and challenges/issues for assigned projects.
· Provides solutions and recommended actions to the Sr. Program Manager to address conflicts and issues.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Provides oversight of contractors and consultants.
· Ensures compliance with key FTA, City and FDOT specifications.
· Ensures compliance with Disadvantaged Business Enterprise requirements.
· Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
· Responsible for reviewing and complying with all policies, procedures and directives.
· Conforms with all safety rules and wears/uses all appropriate safety equipment.
- Required Skills
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or a related industry field and a minimum of eight years progressively responsible Engineering or Construction Management experience.
Florida Professional Engineer’s Registration, or be able to obtain within six months of employment is preferred.
Prior experience in managing bicycle, pedestrian, and multiuse trails and pedestrian safety improvement projects is required.
- Optional Skills
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Must possess leadership characteristics; including but not limited to, customer focused, innovative, strategic thinker and a team player.
• Sound practice and knowledge of project planning, development, design, engineering and construction management methods, practices and principles relating to highway, building, transit and bridge construction
• Knowledge of grant funding and award requirements
• Possess scope control and change management proven knowledge
• Ability to conduct field visits to ensure and document compliance with codes and laws.
• Ability to review, understand and interpret construction plans and specifications.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines and competing priorities.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with sensitivity, passion and a focus on unity and equity.
• A track record in budget management, stewardship and developing proven strategies to build multi-faceted external affairs and development programs.
• Strong organizational, analytic and strategic-thinking skills with demonstrated ability to create, implement and monitor complex plans and translate those plans into goals and concrete methods and strategies.
• A career track record that shows stability with an organization and the capacity to develop and nurture relationships that culminates into overall success.
• Ability to communicate and interact with audiences at various levels.
• Ability to lead a team, or be a participant, regardless of position within the Authority.
• Sound familiarity of basic federal, state and local construction codes and laws with knowledge of FDOT requirements preferred.
• Knowledge regarding testing of materials and inspection process.
• Advanced proficiency in the operation of a personal computer with preferred project management software experience. .
• Ability to clearly communicate with contractors and consultants.