Application Support Engineer II
- Job Title
- Application Support Engineer II
- Job Order ID
- Begin Date
- Jacksonville, FL 32204
- Other Location
Summary of Job
The Application Support Engineer provides technical support regarding a spectrum of software used within a business. Application Support Engineers needs both technical knowledge and “people” skills to do their job well. A good Application Support Engineer II needs to have working knowledge with one or more line-of-business software platforms, experience with basic database management and different operating systems, is capable with one or more programming languages and has worked with various data file formats, including XML, JSON and CSV. You will be charged with researching, designing, implementing and supporting small to medium solutions and ensuring that business systems are fully operational and any loss of service is restored in a timely and efficient manner.
Essential Job Functions
·Participate in identification and evaluation of software technology solutions, both server and desktop, both on-premise and cloud-based.
·Generate user-facing and internal documentation.
·Logs and tracks calls using issue management database.
·Triages service desk issues, directly addresses those that are within skills or quickly escalates to Applications Engineer II/III as needed.
·Responds to requests for technical assistance in person, via phone, and electronically.
·Gather and collate business requirements and user scenarios. Requires social skills.
·Design and maintain expertise in flow of application process and systems related to company.
·Install and prepare tools required for proper functioning of business line applications on regular basis.
·Organize and implement projects ranging from small to medium size and provide assistance to all processes under guidance of senior Engineers.
·Assist with systems integrations.
·Generate test plans for validating software deployments.
·Checks monitoring programs daily for issues.
·Proactively identifies potential software issues and develops plans to address them.
·Diagnoses and resolves software issues and performs root cause analysis on issues. Involves problem determination, workaround resolution, root cause analysis, and incident management
·Remains current with system information, changes and updates.
·Prepares activity and standard statistical reports. Provides status to management periodically or as requested and performs other related duties as assigned.
·Providing a high level of service to our customers and respecting strict SLAs for response and restoration times
·Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory & Operational Authority
No direct reports.
·Sit for prolonged periods.
·Perform repetitive motion.
- Required Skills
Required Education & Experience
· Associates degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or other appropriate related field; and a minimum of 3 years working in an Application Support Engineer, DevOps or equivalent role
· HS Diploma or equivalent; a total of 6 Certifications or Accredited College Courses in relevant Information Technology, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or other related areas; and a minimum of 3 years working in an Application Support Engineer, DevOps or equivalent role
· HS Diploma or equivalent; and a minimum of 5 years working in an Application Support Engineer, DevOps or equivalent role
Additional Experience Requirements
· Deploying, supporting and testing business applications.
· Proven skills with end-user software issues and diagnosing system problems.
Proven skills with SQL and one or more database management systems.
Experience with web platform software (ex: IIS, Tomcat, etc.)
Familiarity with various data formats, notably XML, JSON, CSV and Excel.
Experience with support of one or more Operating Systems.
Knowledge of basic network technology, TCP/IP networking concepts, and basic network troubleshooting.
· Experience with preparation of documentation.
· Experience with maintaining issue tracking knowledge bases.
Knowledge of network shares, printer management, and networked applications.
· Experience with remote support tools (Citrix, MS Remote Desktop, DameWare).
· Familiarity with intermediate network technologies, concepts (ex: DNS, firewalls, LDAP Directories, etc.) and troubleshooting
· Familiarity with basic Operating System configuration and virtualization, and design and optimization thereof.
· Familiarity with DBA duties and database troubleshooting and optimization.
Familiarity with one or more Transportation sector software platforms.
· Proficiency in the MS Office Professional Suite
· Ability and interest in learning and understanding different technologies.
· Good research, creative solution-making and problem solving ability.
· Self-motivated. Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.
· Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing with team members, as well as management and employees at all levels within the organization.
· Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
· Ability to work evenings, weekends, and on-call as needed.
- Optional Skills
· Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
· Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.