Marketing and Communications Manager
- Job Title
- Marketing and Communications Manager
- Job ID
- Chicago, IL 60619
- Other Location
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Mission Statement: We prepare young people for college, careers, and futures as well-rounded global citizens.
About the Comer Education Campus
The Comer Education Campus has been recognized as one of the most unique youth-serving organizations in the nation. Our mission is to help young people prepare to be well rounded global citizens who are ready for college and careers. We primarily serve youth in middle and high schools, while providing employment opportunities and counseling supports to our alumni.
Located in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood on Chicago’s South Side, the campus is anchored by the state-of-the-art Gary Comer Youth Center, Gary Comer College Prep High School and Middle School. Programming is offered in three primary categories: academics, enrichment and college and career preparation. Together we serve nearly 2,000 young people annually. For more information, please visit: http://comereducationcampus.org/
Position Summary: The Marketing & Communications Manager oversees all Gary Comer Youth Center’s marketing and external communications efforts, driving effective and engaging messages and visuals across media outlets and contributing to Gary Comer Youth Center’s voice, presence, and reputation in the community. In collaboration with the Director of Advancement, they will drive big-picture strategy for Gary Comer Youth Center’s marketing and communications efforts annually, including developing best practices for content development and dissemination, leading external communications/media relations, refining our local brand and messaging, and overseeing Gary Comer Youth Center’s website and social media presence.
Strategy Development and Branding Management (30%)
Develop and manage Gary Comer Youth Center’s organizational marketing and communications strategy and tactics, as well as the content calendar.
- In conjunction with the Director of Advancement and other members of the team, develop strategic organizational messaging, identify, and develop compelling stories and content that reflect the organization’s strategic priorities, messaging, and image.
- Develop strategies that amplify community voices and translate messaging across platforms and audiences.
- Brainstorms new and creative growth strategies through digital marketing.
- Manage deliverables such as planning, monitoring, and evaluating results.
Key Responsibility: Marketing Oversight (30%)
Oversee and contribute to the creation of accurate, compelling marketing materials ensuring assets are disseminated and leveraged through all appropriate channels. Materials may include proposals, brochures, one-pagers, reports, signage, and presentations.
- Ensure Gary Comer Youth Center and Comer Education Campus’ website aligns with the organizational priorities, brand, tone, and messaging.
- Establish procedure, guidelines and other marketing-related process improvements tools.
- Monitor performance of marketing tactics, constituent feedback, and market trends; interpret results to inform fundraising and marketing strategies.
- Plans and executes all web, SEO/SEM, database marketing, email, social media, and display advertising campaigns.
- Designs, builds, and maintains our social media presence.
Maintain effective communications with internal and external stakeholders to ensure awareness, engagement, and cohesion.
- Act as point person for media inquiries and proactive media communications, arranging interviews and statements.
- Build and maintain relationships with press and media contacts, and act on opportunities for earned media.
- Draft all media advisories, press releases, opinion pieces, speeches and remarks, and event scripts.
- Work with the Development team and Program Director to develop, produce, and publish print and digital communications pieces and campaigns, including the annual report, appeal letters, newsletters, event publications, social media posts, and website enhancements.
- Manage and set strategy for the organization’s Communications Calendar.
Maintain a “team first” outlook, supporting the success of the team and the mission in attitude, ideas, and actions; lead by example and with active, creative input for growing and improving the organization.
- Assist with Development team standards and process enhancements.
- Support complementary initiatives as needed with advice and/or by taking on defined responsibilities.
- Engage with all members of team, program participants, and core volunteers.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3 – 5 years of marketing and communications experience, including but not limited to website administration, graphic design, public relations, and/or social media strategy.
- Organization, attention to detail, ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Experience utilizing analytics to elevate and inform communications and marketing practices
- High level of computer literacy, including familiarity with Microsoft Office and Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) databases (Salesforce preferred).
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere Pro) or other design software.
- Excellent writing, analytical, and research skills, with the ability to draw useful conclusions from data sets.
- Personable, customer-oriented, ease working with others (teamwork).
- Must work well under pressure, with changing priorities, and meeting deadlines.
Comer Education Campus Values include: YOUTH POWER, EQUITY & INCLUSION, COMMUNITY COMMITMENT, WELL-BEING, INNOVIATION, & JOY
- Youth Power: Must believe that Youth are centric to the Comer mission and all that we do.
- Equity & Inclusion: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to live their full potential, and that our Campus and community are stronger when they are full of opportunities for people with diverse identities, backgrounds and perspectives. We prioritize action over intention and are working every day to make our Campus more equitable and inclusive.
- Community Commitment: Understand the importance of establishing deep connections with young people, their parents and our community and the commitment to allowing their voices guide our work.
- Well-Being: We foster safe spaces that enhance the social, emotional and physical wellbeing of young people and their families, while also making our community a safer place to live.
- Innovation: Ability to move quickly and continuously to innovate our approach in response to the needs of the young people we work with and the community we are part of.
- JOY: Must strive to create, personify, and instill JOY in all we encounter
- Commitment to Comer Education Campus’ mission, vision, and values